Cattleya Aclandiae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Cheyenne

One of my favorite cattleyas. I find this very easy and blooms a few times a year. This is the third time it has bloomed this year. Last time it bloomed it recieved a first place and a best in class at the deep cut show.

2013-02-03_14-58-26_516_zpse41b35e9.jpg

2013-02-03_14-58-52_571_zps1b104274.jpg

Aclandiae is my absolute favorite cattleya species. I bought one once, a young seedling, and unfortunately it didn't survive. Glad to hear it's an easy grower for you.

One of my favs, too. Ever bloom any of the coerulean ones SVO sells? Mine haven't bloomed yet, just wondered what you thought.

Love!

I've had C. aclandiae var. coerulea 'Blue Sky' HCC/AOS x C. aclandiae
'Gulfglade' AM/AOS for three years, and no blooms. And the damn thing won't stay in a pot; it pushes its way out and grows above the medium. :confused:

Any culture tips?

The only way that I can grow aclandiae is in a basket or on a mount. That is why it pushes itself out of a pot. They do not like pots. If you grow them more like a vanda they will be quite easy. I started this one in a small basket and just keep throwing it in a larger one with a little mix or clay balls. Right now there are two baskets in the largest one.

The only way that I can grow aclandiae is in a basket or on a mount. That is why it pushes itself out of a pot. They do not like pots. If you grow them more like a vanda they will be quite easy. I started this one in a small basket and just keep throwing it in a larger one with a little mix or clay balls. Right now there are two baskets in the largest one.

Thank you. This is one I will be selling soon then; I don't have the right environment to grow stuff in baskets...

Fairly full segments on your clone I see why it did so well at the show. Interesting how the lower right flower has a extended white blotch on the lip not seen on the other.

That's a really nice bloom on a small plant. I have several and that looks better than all mine. Great growing.

:clap::clap::clap: Love these dalmatians!
I'm finding the basket/pots interesting ...
I have Brabantiae (aclandiae x loddigesii), it's in a plastic pot, in a coarse bark mix and does just fine, blooming faithfully every year and scenting the room so nicely!

Back