Catt schilleriana

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is so beautiful!! What is your secret?? Do you grow it on a rock and feed it acidic???

Troy
This plant is growing in medium size Orchiata and doesn't get repotted too often. I've used several different kinds of fertilizer and it doesn't seem to make any difference, except it didn't respond well to straight calcium nitrate. I suspect the current conditions are slightly acidic, but I have not confirmed that. If there is any secret in growing this plant, it is the abundant light it receives during the late fall and winter. There is just a double pane glass panel between it and all day, full sun. It drops to as low as 55 degrees at night in winter near the window and gets as warm as 80 degrees during the day when the sun is shinning. When I see signs of new growth in the spring, I begin watering more frequently. It blooms every year and always at about the same time. Occasionally, a new growth will emerge in the late summer or fall, but those never bloom for me and they seem to be weaker growths. Mike

Thanks!! I have a packhaevensis that has 15 or so canes, air roots 12" long, it's reluctant to bloom...waiting.. alan kotch suggested keeping the potting medium slightly alkaline and fertilizing with acidic solution, I was curious if you did that

Back