Cats and plants

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem I had with my cat was that, when I first started growing, her favorite place to sleep was the sunny table I decided to grow plants on. She had to learn that that was no longer 'HER' place. It took me completely filling with with plants so she couldn't possibly find a place to jump up on to win the battle. :D

Then, I got a bigger table, and filled that, and so on.

Nowadays, the only time she ever even thinks about nipping on a plant or two is when she is clearly trying to get my attention. And she usually gets a few shots from the plant mister for that!

Our two cats have never chewed on any orchids or other house plants, but they were "semi feral" when they adopted us and still insist on going outside where they do chew on grass quite often. My sister's cat, on the other hand, is an indoor cat, and it completely destroys any plant Kathy tries to grow except for an old shamrock that my mother originally had.

Until we built the greenhouse I could NOT have a miltonia or zygo type orchid in the house for over 90 seconds until the cats would find it and feast. As only cats can do they would add insult to injury. After eating the grassy leafs they would throw up. I ended up not only with a permanantly damagaed orchid but cat hac to clean up too.
Now I grow wheat grass in the greenhouse just for the cats.

Our cat had three kittens a few months back, when they started walking around, my dear wife moved them out of the house into our little granny flat (appartment). Well this is the very same place I was germinating about $1000 worth of Clivia seeds...needless to say, the kittens used the germination trays as catboxes, I was not impressed

Back