Catesetum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
You don't see many Catesetums posted, and I just got this in bud from a friend of mine. These are male flowers of C. laminatum.

I love male ctsm flowers. They never last long for me though, since i take them to work and trick everyone to touch the trigger and get "ejaculated" on :)

Beautiful! I love growing Catesetums! My Cyc. wines delight is just starting to spike.

Beautiful! I love growing Catesetums! My Cyc. wines delight is just starting to spike.

Please post a photo when it blooms. I would love to see it. Fred Clark will speak at our Sept society meeting, and will be taking plants to sell. I always like to buy at least one plant from the speakers. I want to help encourage them when they take plants. I have never had a cyc. but I might end up with one. I suppose I should study up on their culture.

OK, I will take some photos of the Cyc. when it blooms. At the moment I have two spikes developing. I am anxious to see if the flowers on this Cyc. is as nice as the first Wines Delight that I purchased from JEM orchids after it was first awarded.

I think that all orchid growers should have at least one of these orchids in their collection. They are easy to grow (heavy feeder when in active growth), and deciduous (slow down on watering & fertilizer when you start to see it die back). I literally remove them from their media when the leaves fall off the plant. I keep a eye on them around spring time when a small cane will start to emerge with tiny roots, and when the roots are about one half an inch I repot the orchid back into media. Slowly start to water and fertilize as the new cane starts to grow.

About purchasing an orchid from a visiting vendor...great idea! I am the vendor liaison for the Long Island Parrot Society and I have worked for a number of orchids growers when the GNYOS (large event in Manhattan) comes to town. These vendors truly go thru a lot of trouble to get those orchids on that sales table. And most are very hopeful and thankful for a good night of sales. When possible, we should all help to support this forum for great information, and our local orchids society, that work tirelessly to make these events so enjoyable.

Latest posts

Back