Catasetum pileatum var. aureum 'Oro Verde'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuRu

experienced greenhorn
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been growing this Catasetum for almost 15 years and it's a reliable bloomer. This year it hase produced 4 spikes, one flowered in October, two are flowering now and are wilting slowly now and the last one is still wih buds. It's difiicult to take reasonable photos with all spikes because they are running in different directions.

07253_20.11.28_catasetum pileatum var aureum Oro Verde.jpg

It has both sex-appeal and WAUW-factor in spades! :)

Would it be possible to get a view of your plant in toto, Rudolf? And as I'm totally blank on Catasetum, maybe a word or two about culture, if you have the time to spare?

Kind regards, Jens

Hi Jens, sorry for the belated response but I didn't throw an eye on this thread for few days. I've been growing 3 Catasetums....C. piletatum var. aureum 'OV', C. fimbriatum and Clowesia russelliana (formerly Catasetum). Here are two photos of my growing place, one I took in 2017 and one of today. I'm not sure whether I showed this of 2017 here already before.

03304_17.11.28_catasenten_clowesia.jpg

07262_20.12.12_catasetum_clowesia .jpg

Left to right C. pileatum 'OV' with the 4th flower spike of this year, C. fimbriatum, Clowesia russelliana.
You can see by comparison with the Phaleanopsis which I've grow side by side with the Catasetums that they arn't small plants, but they are easily to grow. During growing season as much water and fertilizer as possible and during the resting period when the bulbs are complete without leaves you can forget the plants completely....no watering, no care, nothing to do. The growing season starts in March/April and the plants fell to rest end of December early January. With my care always a bit later than maybe in nature. Due to their requirements I grow this plants in summer in full hydroponics, potting medium is cut styrofoam with a layer of pebbles on top (against floating of the potting medium). Therefore I repot only when the size of the pot is too small (once in ten years or so).
The plants show you by getting brown and wilted leafs when the resting period starts so you don't have to care when to stop watering.
All are reliable bloomers and have flowered regularely every year. Altogether I like these plants very much and won't miss them in my collection.

Last edited:
Back