Catasetum fimbriatum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuRu

experienced greenhorn
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wrote already in another Catasetum thread that my Catasetum fimbriatum would be almost ready to flower. Meanwhile all flowers of the remainig 3 flower spikes have been opened and I want to share the photos with you. I've been growing this plant for ca. 35 years now and she moved house with me two times. Since ca. 2005 it has been grown in pure inorganic potting medium (shreddered/cut styrofoam) and seems to like it because its getting bigger from year to year. This year 5 flower spikes emerged in spring and 3 of them have been in flower now (one blasted and the other one flowered only with few flowers around one month ago).

The size of the plant and its flower spikes is too big for my background panel coverd with black cloth so I had to take the photos in front of the wall in the dining room.
Almost forgot it...the scent is sweet and strong, very intense.
07583_21.08.01_catasetum fimbriatum.jpg

07590_21.08.01_catasetum fimbriatum.jpg

Last edited:
Catasetums bloom with full leaves. Many start the first spike of the season as the new growth is just a few inches tall and the leaves are not even opened up. It does take about two month for the spike to develop and open the flowers, so by the time the flowers are open, the growth bearing the spike is usually about half mature with not pseudobulb growth just yet. And the same growth will bloom again and again depending on the species and hybrids.
Cycnoches blooms just as the new growth has matured. The leaves are all on the plant in bloom.
Clowesia and Mormodes are the ones that typically bloom on leafless pseudobulbs.

Catasetums bloom with full leaves. .......Cycnoches blooms just as the new growth has matured.........
Clowesia and Mormodes are the ones that typically bloom on leafless pseudobulbs.

Many but not all. Clowesia russelliana. which I've been growing, flowers with full leaves as you can see.

07668_21.09.07_clowesia russelliana.jpg

Latest posts

Back