Catamodes Dragon's Glade surprise

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamD

Catasetinae Crazed
Reaction score
So I think this is the first time in the history of catasetinae intergenic breeding that an intergenic flower has shown signs of sexual dimorphism. Up until now all intergenic hybrids have had perfect (pollen and stamina) floral segments. Even some Fredclarkearas are more than 90% catasetum genetics at this point, and still display perfect flowers. This cross [(catasetum x mormodes) x catasetum] is only 75% catasetum genetics. This means mormodes are much less "stable" than clowesia, which must be the reason that Fdk's stay uniform. These flowers are female, lacking pollen, like their catasetum parents. If you can't tell I'm pretty excited. This group never ceases to amaze me.

Up until now, female flowers have been very drab, and almost indistinguishable between species. Most are flat green and hooded (pouched). As you can see, these are anything but drab. I can't wait to see the males!

The first flowers looked to be "more female" showing perfect floral segments. I tried to pollinate them to see if they would produce viable seed. We'll see

The later flowers looked to be "less female" showing an extra spot for pollen offset on the staminode. Notice the pollen triggers are longer on the side opposite from the extra pollen spot. Still no pollen in the sac

Closeup of the column

Latest posts

Back