Carnivourous Plant Mega-Thread

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.....As for playground sand, I would suspect it does not have a high content of silica sand. However, I was reading a carnivorous plant forum discussion on sand the other day, and someone said that Peter D'Amato has used playground sand with no ill effects.

Does the bag say anything about mineral content Rose? You want to avoid anything with limestone sand in it.
I should have mentioned it's labeled play sand & no there is no mention of mineral content. Peter said in his book to use play sand. We have free sand available right out of the pits, I grabbed a couple handfuls Friday night. I did a little test with my TDS meter, the pit sand was 117, the play sand had a reading of 87. Later (after I dumped it) I thought I should see when adding the peat what that might do, so took a handful of each (play sand/peat) and the reading dropped to 47. That should be be OK, my husband also suggested, although it would be a bit inconvenient, to wash the play sand ....
here goes another experiment!

What companion bog plants would people recommend? or are there any that would be strongly discouraged?
Forrest posted calopogons, which I had on my future want list. I'm trying to stick to cold temperate types to keep the bog maintenance minimal.
I'm considering Gentiana catesbaei, marshallia grandiflora, sabatia kennedyana and Stylidium debile, any comments/suggestions?

Just picked up from Lowe's-Sarracenia flava. Five inch plant. $8.00 :)

Rose- Juncus spiralis/Spiral rush does well for me.

I found my favorite!

I've been taking in consideration the suggestions offered & at this point those plants are a bit on hold. Most of the plants are doing quite well but I'm beginning to think that the tall sarracenias would do better in more light so I'm going to fix up another area that I had in mind, then I'll go back to possible companions. In the meantime .....
I purchased a plant off my wishlist - Drosera binata var. dichotoma ‘Giant’. I have a small Marston's Dragon that is doing well but I wanted a biggie meateater! It's way to cool!
014-4.jpg
016-7.jpg
005-6.jpg

It's in a quart pot, the bottom green inverted base pot is 8", so that can give you an idea of size. As you can see it's not missing any meals!

Our big Nepenthes (possibly Miranda?) sent up a flower spike. Neat. I guess that means it's happy.

adding to the carnies!

You know what happens when they say only experienced carnie growers should try these?
Heliamphora nutans, this is considered a young adult, have had it for about a month now, seems to be doing just fine!
017-5.jpg
018-6.jpg

This cephalotus I couldn't resist! It's in a 2" pot so the traps are pretty good size, not listed as a 'Hummers Giant' but I have to wonder!
022-1.jpg
026-2.jpg

I don't have room to set up for Heliamphora right now, so color me green with envy that you have one. :)

My Cephalotus seedlings are putting out non-carnivorous leaves the size of yours or larger, but I have yet to get an adult pitcher on them. I think I need to up the light level for them.

Rose, would you like some Venus Flytrap seedlings? I have dozens of them that I started from seed, and they are so interesting to watch them grow. I will send you some if you want.

Very nice! I have both also. No mature pitchers yet on the Heli's yet, though. What is your plan for how you are going to grow yours (temp. and light)?

... My Cephalotus seedlings are putting out non-carnivorous leaves the size of yours or larger, but I have yet to get an adult pitcher on them. I think I need to up the light level for them.
This is the first one I saw on ebay that had so many non-carnivorous leaves plus pitchers. The seller indicated it was in a growth splurt, well I guess it was by golly! He offered it BIN for $32.95, which I thought was reasonable so I took it. The temps are suppose to cool down in the next couple of days & I'm going to move it back to the GH but under the supplemental lights so I can up the light but then have greater temp drops.

Rose, would you like some Venus Flytrap seedlings? I have dozens of them that I started from seed, and they are so interesting to watch them grow. I will send you some if you want.
I tried a couple of compots thru the FlyTrap Store, they didn't fare to well but I'm determined to get it right, so yes! Thank You! I'll have to post pics of the 2 adultish plants plants I got from them.

Very nice! I have both also. No mature pitchers yet on the Heli's yet, though. What is your plan for how you are going to grow yours (temp. and light)?
Personally I think mine could take more light due to the sprawled like growth? but then again this might be normal for it's age, the tallest are no more than 2" right now. In the next couple of days it will go back to the GH, it's got the greatest temp drop (& during the winter higher humidity), I'll put it under the supplemental lights. When we get these heat waves I've been bringing it in the house, south exposure 6" from a vent, 75 degrees, at night I take it down to the basement put it on the floor and then before I go to bed put a blue ice pac under it, I'm guessing that should drop the temps a good 10 degrees. I can hardly wait for summer to be over, these 2 plants have me well trained! :p

wasn't there a thread a few days ago where people are using clay pots and sand to keep water, food and orchids cool in the internal pot? with that you could have it outside most of the time and keep the pot cool

Latest posts

Back