Carnivourous Plant Mega-Thread

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirius

Plant Nerd
Reaction score
I think there are quite a few of us here growing carnivorous plants. I know I would love to pick the brains of some of you other growers to find out about your successes and failures. If you would like to participate, sound off about what you are growing, or want to grow, and the questions will come soon enough.

I am currently growing the following plants indoors in terrarium conditions...

Darlingtonia californica
Pinguicula macroceras subsp. nortensis
Drosera rotundifolia
Cephalotus follicularis
Sarracenia purpurea

In the very near future, I will be adding some more Cephalotus and a Dionaea cultivar... maybe "Red Dragon."

I am also very excited about trying a Heliamphora species, maybe minor.

I'm in. Not long ago, I asked what kind of carnivorous plants would remain small enough inside the window greenhouse I'm building. Got no answer. So maybe this time will be better. Thanks John for thinking about this thread.

I have only a few.

Outdoors: Sarracenia purpurea

Outdoors in summer, winter in a cold room ("chambre froide". Don't know how to translate...) or downstairs near a "cool" window:

Sarracenia Scarlet Belle
Sarracenia Dana's Delight
Sarracenia Dixie Lace
Sarracenia Judith Hindle
Sarracenia leucophylla Tarnok

Utricularia sp. (outdoors. In a pond)

I'm in. Not long ago, I asked what kind of carnivorous plants would remain small enough inside the window greenhouse I'm building. Got no answer. So maybe this time will be better. Thanks John for thinking about this thread.

How big can the plants get before they will interfere with each other? How tall, and how wide?

What conditions will there be? Humidity, light level, air temperature.

The plants that I know stay relatively small require certain conditions according to the culture sheets I have found...

Cephalotus follicularis - bright light, warm day temps, cold night temps, evenly moist but leaning towards dry (planted in a mix with some sand for even drainage)

Pinguicula species and hybrids form small rosettes, and they look amazing when grown properly. They also come in temperate varieties that need a cold winter rest, and tropical which don't like cold temps.

I have only a few.

Outdoors: Sarracenia purpurea

Outdoors in summer, winter in a cold room ("chambre froide". Don't know how to translate...) or downstairs near a "cool" window:

Sarracenia Scarlet Belle
Sarracenia Dana's Delight
Sarracenia Dixie Lace
Sarracenia Judith Hindle
Sarracenia leucophylla Tarnok

Utricularia sp. (outdoors. In a pond)

Do your Sarracenia hybrids grow pretty tall? I am only growing purpurea because it stays relatively compact. Though, my pitchers this year are fat and happy.

I've been having drosera thoughts recently - anyone want to talk about their experiences growing them?

I had good luck with pings and droseras growing (in the mix they came in originally) watered from the bottom. They were great at controlling fungus gnats!

I miss them.

I will say though I had a terrible time trying to repot/pot up them. Especially the pings. Would love to know some tips on that!

Do your Sarracenia hybrids grow pretty tall? I am only growing purpurea because it stays relatively compact. Though, my pitchers this year are fat and happy.

Most of them are still yong plants that I bought 2 years ago, so I don't know if they can be tall. Judith Hindle is rather tall for a baby! But the pitcher is only 40 cm I would say.

Scarlet Belle is many years old and it is very compact, like purpurea. It is a stunning plant. Should try to find a picture.

We have venus fly traps (VFTs as the cp folks call them- cp is carnivorous plants). The common one and 'Dente' (has shorter "teeth" with wide bases on the traps) both potted in NZ sphag in a semi-hydro style container to make a wet bog situation (margarine container with holes poked about an inch from the bottom). A Red Dragon committed suicide. They get very bright sun all day with direct sun duration depending how frequently I trim back lilies that grow quickly and shade them a bit. They get water from the pond, which is a blend of rain and RO, often enough to keep the top of the moss moist to WET. The "mini-bog" is sunk into the ground near our pond and all survived well over our mild winter (USDA zone 9b).

Also have three nepenthes going nuts in hanging baskets with bottom reservoir. Potted in sphagnum peat based mix (sphag peat, perlite, pine bark, sand) getting bright, reflected light all day with some direct sun shortly before sunset this time of year. We keep them pretty wet, watering several times a week with rain water or RO, daily when it's hot. They go into the garage on cool winter nights (below ~45 F).

Want to add some other cp's- inspired by our spring love bug bloom!!!

I currently grow mainly Sarracenia. My lists consists of alata, flava "Heavy Veined", flava var Cuprea, flava var Maxima, flava var Rubricopra, flava var Rugelli, leucophylla, leucophylla "Tarnok", leucophylla "Red", leucophylla 'Titan', minor (Long Co. Ga), minor 'Okee Giant', oreophila, psittacina, purpurea ssp purpurea (Starter Lake, NY), purpurea ssp purpurea 'Connecticut', purpurea ssp purpurea 'hetereophylla', purpurea ssp venosa, purpurea ssp venosa var Chipola, purpurea ssp venosa "Louis Burke", purpurea ssp venosa "Brunswick Beauty" purpurea ssp purpurea var Montana.

I do also have Helimphora, Cephalotus , VFT, Drosera and Pinguicula.

I also grew fair share of Nepenthes such rajah and villosum but they are no longer with me.

sarracenias

Hi,

I grow a range of sarracenia colour forms in the cold greenhouse. They're just sat in rain water in summer and left just damp over winter. They're very easy in the UK climate. They could grow outside year round in a bog garden.
Most of my stuff comes from a real CP nut - Mike King - google his name and you'll see his greenhouses stuffed full of stunning plants,

Regards,

David

How big can the plants get before they will interfere with each other? How tall, and how wide?

What conditions will there be? Humidity, light level, air temperature.

The plants that I know stay relatively small require certain conditions according to the culture sheets I have found...

Cephalotus follicularis - bright light, warm day temps, cold night temps, evenly moist but leaning towards dry (planted in a mix with some sand for even drainage)

Pinguicula species and hybrids form small rosettes, and they look amazing when grown properly. They also come in temperate varieties that need a cold winter rest, and tropical which don't like cold temps.

intermediate to warm. A foot tall or less. High humidity. I'm thinking pinquicula and pitchers. Anything else?

I grow mostly Sarracenia that are native to the southeast. They grow very well for me in my climate

Here's the list off the top of my head:

Sarracenia leucophylla
Sarracenia purpurea ssp venosa var burkii
Sarracenia purpurea
Sarracenia psittacina
Sarracenia rubra
Pinguicula planiflora and another I can't remember at the moment
a few Droseras
Nepenthes alata

And here's a sampling of pictures:

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 6
Great thread idea, just saw it today. I grow lots of cp's. There's a lot of questions piling up here and I don't know where to start so I'll start here. Anyone who wants to learn more about culture of the various cp's should get a copy of 'The Savage Garden" by Peter D'Amato of California Carnivores. I'll post a list soon so we can facilitate more discussion and maybe some trades!!!

Great thread idea, just saw it today. I grow lots of cp's. There's a lot of questions piling up here and I don't know where to start so I'll start here. Anyone who wants to learn more about culture of the various cp's should get a copy of 'The Savage Garden" by Peter D'Amato of California Carnivores. I'll post a list soon so we can facilitate more discussion and maybe some trades!!!

That's a good idea. I have a Sarracenia purpurea that is going crazy. It has at least four growing eyes that could be seperated. I don't know if it sent them out on it's own, or if there were multiple seedlings planted in the same pot, but this years pitchers are huge and it's getting a bit crowded.

Does anyone have any of the Stewart McPherson books from Redfern Conservation? They look amazing, but they are pretty pricey and you have to order them from the U.K. so shipping is a bit much.

Also, do any of you guys who are blooming your CP's pollinate the flowers? I would love to try my hand at starting some pitcher seedlings. I already have some Darlingtonia californica seeds started, and I would be willing to trade seed for seed, or seedlings for seed.

Hi,

I had a Sarracenia and a Nepenthes and recently added some Utricularia, Pinguicula and a Drosera. Also a friend sent me a Dionea which I am not very adept on growing..Let's hope it will do ok!!!

I was thinking of putting drosera, pinguicula, dionea and utricularia in a small tank I have. Do you think it would be good to have them all in a mix on the bottom of the tank or put them in pots seperately? Any ideas? TY

Latest posts

Back