Carnivorous Plants

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TheLorax
My kids said it will be between the first and the middle of Sept. My Grandson just got is Dr. degree in biotechnology (in Calif) and accepted a position at the University in Madison. We are going to wait until he gets settled there in his apartment. You can be sure I will pick his brain when I'm there.

Matthew grew up in a greenhouse. He and his brother like to tell people that their Grandpa had them crawling under the benches weeding, before they learned to walk. He must have not minded it too much because he still works there and expects to be buying into the business. He is the 4th generation, his Great-grand father originally started the business.

Hope to see you in September.

That range will work for me! (Fri. the 14th doesn't).Chuck is on vacation Aug.17-27, so we should pick a couple of dates & I can contact him when he gets back.
Anyone else want to join us?

Congratulations to your son Grandma M! Getting one's PhD is a major accomplishment!

I'm out the first weekend of September but other than that we should be ok.

Thanks for giving me a time frame. I'm going to finish up my holes, leave some honey-do lists for my husband, and take off early with the kids for what's left of the summer. I'll be back after the Labor Day Weekend.

God I hope this Ackers doesn't have jewel orchids or mottled leaf paphs! If it does and I end up dropping a ton of money right at the start of the school year, you two women will forever be labeled in my book- Enabler One and Enabler Two. Psst, I promise to ditch the duct tape from my heels and I promise not to go out pulling any weeds or digging any holes before we leave to drive up to Madison so that you two aren't embarrased to be seen within ten feet of me.

Then we should be considering Sept. 6/7/8?
I don't remember seeing jewel orchids but that doesn't mean they don't have them. Mottled leaf paphs - OH YES!
P.S. I don't think you could embarass me or Marilyn, nor Chuck, he's pretty down to earth!

Great, mottled leaf paphs! Just what I need after spending money on back to school supplies and clothes.

Good to know that if I get a little slopped up that it's ok. Slopping up happens.

Who is Chuck? I don't know everyone's first names here.

I dub thee Enabler three!

One good thing (phew, wiping beads of sweat from brow), I'm not good enough to try anything from a flask. Too new to orchids. Saved by a flask! Who would have thunk! Ha ha ha, I have to buy my plants in pots for the next few years until I have some experience under my belt.

Chuck's sister & brother in law actually own Orchids by Ackers. Chuck has space there & helps manage & run daily operations. He does ship his own stuff, which is listed on his website. There will be PLENTY of potted plants there! I think Chuck has probably done more for phrag breeding in this country than anyone else, he's very highly respected.

What's Enabler four's user name here so I know who to look out for? (Chuck)

Plenty of potted plants??? I'm running out of pots. Oh wait, I suppose there will be after season sales around the corner. Bad timing that we're going up there at the tail end of the gardening season.

I did just receive an order of Hoya from Australia of 15 cuttings. This is not good at all, not good at all that this place Ackers sells PLENTY of potted plants. Here's hoping I get all my credit card bills in from back to school shopping so my wings are somewhat clipped. Idealistically, I'd like to only spend $150 at this time of year.

Chuck doesn't belong to the forum, as far as I know.
If it's too close to the kids going back to school we can always put it off til Oct.

By October I'll be getting charges for their sports activities and music lessons and all those after school clubs. It's never ending once school starts and then you roll into the ski season and the holidays and right after that looms (music to Jaws playing) tax season so no sense waiting until May of 2008 when I will have paid off all of their summer camps to go to Ackers. Besides which, I promised myself I would try my very best to exercise restraint when I went. Just promise me that the two of you will start slapping my hands and re-shelving plants if it starts looking as if I've got too much in my boxes.

Thank you for reminding me. I keep forgetting you are the reason why I learned this Ackers existed and am taking the trek up that way! I guess I will have to do my best on my own!

Latest posts

Back