Carnivorous Plants & Confusion

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More questions...

The Ping agnata is outgrowing its pot and looks to need potting up. What media should it be potted in? Hopefully normal potting soil?

Also, the same is true of the Nepenthes ventricosa. I've read it's a vine, but have no idea about what to pot it in or how to grow it.

Any help would be appreciated,

--Stephen

silence882 said:
More questions...
The Ping agnata is outgrowing its pot and looks to need potting up. What media should it be potted in? Hopefully normal potting soil?

No, very probably not! Please do a little research before potting it--
:)

silence882 said:
Also, the same is true of the Nepenthes ventricosa. I've read it's a vine, but have no idea about what to pot it in or how to grow it.
--Stephen

A good source of information would be in the Pinguicula (Butterwort) and nepenthes sections at the following very helpful carnivorous plant forum and community:

http://www.terraforums.com/

Best wishes and good luck,

Steve / xscd

have you repotted yet? I have my noid mexican ping in equal parts coarse sand and peat. I actually had bad luck with the tray system and use a glass vase with no drainage. It sits under 4 fluor tubes and I water every 2 weeks or so..... I recently moved another mex ping over to it and it's taking off (finally!) California Carnivores says this about the mix: Warm-temperate varieties do well in a soil of one part peat to one part sand. Mexican and tropical species enjoy a more open mix of equal parts sand, perlite, vermiculite, and peat.

For the nep, several months ago I repotted into a soil-less mix with lots of perlite, some vermiculite, and peat, and they are not really liking it. I'm considering moving them into a mix with chopped long fibre sphag until they get bigger.

Here's a pic of a huge basket at Al's in Leesburg:

and one hanging over water at the Conservatory of Flowers in Golden Gate Park:

And here's a link to the pics I took while visiting California Carnivores (click the photo for the rest of the set):

Thanks much for the advice and the link!

I've not repotted either since I'm still unsure of what media to use. I'm thinking of using Jiffy Pro Mix HP (peat and perlite) for the Ping and my CHC/perlite/charcoal mix for the Nep. I probably should use a bark mix, which is what it's in now, but all my orchids are in CHC and I don't want it to be lonely...

--Stephen

assuming that the Jiffy Pro Mix is the same kind of thing as the Pro Mix I have, you'll probably need to cut it with lots of perlite or coarse gravel. Check out these links: one and two

Edited to add that I'm not sure if any of the ones in situ on the glasshouse site are agnata, but you get the idea. Sheer rock cliffs, tropical sun, tillies as mates.... (per Savage Garden)

Thanks for the links! I'll dilute the Jiffy Mix with perlite before repotting.

Both plants have been growing like crazy, especially compared to my sluggish slippers.

Here is the Nep ventricosa:
ventricosa1.jpg

ventricosa2.jpg

And the Ping agnata:
agnata.jpg

--Stephen

Back