Carnivorous plant help needed

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't know much about carnivorous plants. Last week I bought 3 Sundews at the Santa Barbara show. I thought they might like to eat a few pesky gnats.

It turns out one of the insect eating plants is infested with aphids. :mad:
I never thought to check them for insect pests before I bought them as I assumed they were insect proof? Well they aren't. :confused:

How is the best way to eliminate the aphids on a CP?
I'm thinking the microwave oven at the moment. :evil:

CPaphid.jpg

Lance,
No idea about what to do with the aphids, but I wanted to mention that I have used sundews (coupled with other means) to combat gnats in my potted citrus. They work like a charm there because they need lots of light and humidity, just like citrus. I assume that it should work just as well with paphs, though the lower light could be a bit of an issue. Great idea! Good luck with the aphids!

All the best,
Per

Thanks Per,
I don't have many gnats, not enough to bother spraying and maybe not even enough to keep the sundews alive. Maybe that is why they packed their own lunch?

I've got high humidity and about 1000fcs light, I hope it is enough for the sundews. Seems logical to put a little CP on each plant shelf if they will live.

I can't keep sundews alive, so no first hand experience. From the Savage Garden: "wettable powder insecticides are safest. Flea collars in small enclosures work well.... Never use soap-based insecticides...."

um, i've only seen phytotoxicity with one pesticide and sundews. it was a es (emulsified solution {has a petroleum product as part of it}), though and the only es i use. it didn't really hurt the leaves, but instead had little plant parts grow on the inflorescences.
if you have endeavor, it'll kick the aphids' a$$es!!!
otherwise, you could always just often spray them off with a stream of water. i don't know if that'll hurt the plants, though.
as for feeding them, don't worry about it. better fed they are, the less they'll exhibit their signs of carnivory. don't fertilize, but you probably knew that...
as for fungus gnats, one way to tame a wild population is to take a raw potato slice and set that cut side down on top of the media. every three days to a week, replace the potato slice. there should be small, translucent worm-lookin' things on it. those are fungus gnat larvae....

aphids are one of the few pests that'll eat sundews...

found this "...Since you have the plant in a terrarium, the easiest way to get rid of your aphids is to hang a pet flea collar in the tank. In the closed space it kills them fairly fast. It won't harm the plants." here. anyone ever heard of this? it's about plants in a terrarium...

likespaphs said:
found this "...Since you have the plant in a terrarium, the easiest way to get rid of your aphids is to hang a pet flea collar in the tank. In the closed space it kills them fairly fast. It won't harm the plants." here. anyone ever heard of this? it's about plants in a terrarium...
Yes, flea collars contain the same thing as imidacloprid, the active ingredient in Bayer Advanced's systemics (tree and shrub and the flower one).

hmmm... that's a fairly common pesticide. didn't realize it was in those, though. if you hang it, how does it get from the collar to the pest as i figured it would be absorbed systemically by the dog/cat/other by absorption being in direct contact with the animal's skin. is that wrong? is it transmitted to dog/cat/other a different way?

Now that I don't know. I admit I'm just repeating what I've heard. Supposedly, leaving flea collars on a greenhouse bench near pest-prone plants will keep them at bay too. Maybe heat/humidity/air is enough to disperse them chemical?

my guess would be mammals in general, but flea collars are most often used on dogs and cats...

NYEric said:
Eorchids may know?!?

Thanks for bring me into the spotlight!

Umm...actually I don't know since I have never had this problem before. Sorry. Let me post a topic on the CP Forum I go to and see what they have to say about it.

Gonewild,
They are recommend me to use pyrethrins. They are a neurotoxin (to bugs) from some particular chrysanthemum. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back