Carnivores

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SFLguy

Reaction score
My biggest hobby right now is growing carnivorous plants, people generally assume that carnivorous plants are all some sort of exotic tropical plants where in actuality plants like Venus flytraps and north American pitcher plants are all native to the United States (pitcher plants grow from north Florida to Canada and flytraps are native to the Carolinas). Here are a couple pitcher plants of my own :)

2b4dffb3e12ef9fd9ed58cb097589898.jpg

7640eade61bb73a7590c4a52d82b170a.jpg

ee09bef791dd445582cd0916c3579315.jpg

b2f86c4471f08902e178b887c0dbb806.jpg

19b61bb3c1b42f491e57c6f98affca1b.jpg

d2aedea02fa2d80f66d5219a68e0ff21.jpg

People generally tend to think that the pitchers are this plant's flowers where in fact it's the plant's leaves, here's one of their flowers :)

e23bd5bbe032e971c015a832e36fd7a5.jpg

Of course I have to have some of these iconic carnivores too

9753c2f813ba43774cf3a6606c0db97f.jpg

But some carnivores are much more orchid like such as Utricularia or Pinguicula

8d4aaf1e36e67e46c5a2c6eb7accc40a.jpg

U. Bisquamata

f5bbb3d472eb2d02b3d074e9be910cd2.jpg

U. Sandersonii (aka the angry bunny rabbits)

Very nice! We got a couple of small guys recently, just a drosera and a ping. Then my husband bought a huge nepenthes. Addict. :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:D I only have one nep right now and it's a seedling but they can get huge (oh and remember to use distilled/ reverse osmosis / rain water only) also, do you know what kind of ping it is?

Well in any case, congrats on getting sucked into the carnivore addiction :)

Yeah, thanks loads, SFLguy. Just what I need, another group of plants to collect...

Nice rooftop garden you got there.
I've dabbled in sundews, butterworts, and flytraps. Never had long-term success with them though.

Nice rooftop garden you got there.
I've dabbled in sundews, butterworts, and flytraps. Never had long-term success with them though.
Thanks! :)
Carnivorous plants need three things to be happy:
1. Pure water (I.e. distilled, r/o, rain, or de ionized water)
2. Nutrient free soils such as peat and perlite (1:1) or long fibered sphagnum moss (sometimes called orchid moss)
3. Sunlight, although much more variable, they will need at least 4 hours of direct sunlight (depending on the species and genus)

One problem many people run into is that companies will sell them water that was purified and then had minerals added for taste. Another problem is that many companies (such as miracle grow) add fertilizers to these usually nutrient free soils/media that kill the plants.

Lastly, many carnivorous plants need dormancy periods such as the Venus flytrap. This dormancy is triggered by lower light levels in the winter and fall months. This is why many people have trouble growing carnivores indoors.

In a few weeks I should have seeds of D. Capensis "narrow leaf" if you'd like, you could send me a SASE (self addressed stamped envelope) and I could send you some seeds :)

I don't know much about carnivorous plants. I do love the green one with white lips on the second pictures.

I always wanted to give a venus fly trap a shot but i wouldn't know how to feed them indoors.

I don't know much about carnivorous plants. I do love the green one with white lips on the second pictures.

I always wanted to give a venus fly trap a shot but i wouldn't know how to feed them indoors.
Those are Sarracenia Leucophylla Hurricane Creek White Clone A :)

Most carnivorous plants don't need to be fed at all to grow (they'll obviously prefer being fed). Venus fly traps need 6 hours of direct sunlight and will go dormant in the winter. If you're going to grow them in a windowsill, I'd suggest a south facing window (and if that can't be done, and east facing window works too). If grown on a windowsill they will go dormant on their own :)

Those are Sarracenia Leucophylla Hurricane Creek White Clone A :)

Most carnivorous plants don't need to be fed at all to grow (they'll obviously prefer being fed). Venus fly traps need 6 hours of direct sunlight and will go dormant in the winter. If you're going to grow them in a windowsill, I'd suggest a south facing window (and if that can't be done, and east facing window works too). If grown on a windowsill they will go dormant on their own :)

Uh oh. And here I go looking at some nice red ones or ones called b52s or something. :poke:

Wow~ I love pitcher plants like the one in your first picture.
I saw some very tall ones (over 30 cm in length) sold as fresh cutflower at a florist. I bought a whole bunch and they kept for about one week in a vase.

I would love to grow pitcher plants with white top with netting. I find them very pretty, but I don't have a cool enough space to provide winter for them.

Oh, well...

Uh oh. And here I go looking at some nice red ones or ones called b52s or something. :poke:
For red ones I'd go with either FTS Maroon Monster or Akai Ryu

B52 can be finicky in some people's climate for no apparent reason, another nice one you could look at is King Henry :)

Wow~ I love pitcher plants like the one in your first picture.
I saw some very tall ones (over 30 cm in length) sold as fresh cutflower at a florist. I bought a whole bunch and they kept for about one week in a vase.

I would love to grow pitcher plants with white top with netting. I find them very pretty, but I don't have a cool enough space to provide winter for them.

Oh, well...
The ones you're referring to are called Sarracenia Leucophylla, dormancy in these plants is actually triggered more by naturally decreasing light levels than temperature (mine went dormant in 80° weather) so a cool area is not needed for them :)

That particular plant is an S. Leucophylla from Baldwin County, AL

Latest posts

Back