Carnivores

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For red ones I'd go with either FTS Maroon Monster or Akai Ryu

B52 can be finicky in some people's climate for no apparent reason, another nice one you could look at is King Henry :)

Well.... I just went to South Bay traps...and picked up a young adult akai ryu. Thanks for the suggestion! All I know is that I liked how it looked liked. And I only have a spot for one more plant. And that will likely be a neo. 1:21 am chobani and plants go figure

Well.... I just went to South Bay traps...and picked up a young adult akai ryu. Thanks for the suggestion! All I know is that I liked how it looked liked. And I only have a spot for one more plant. And that will likely be a neo. 1:21 am chobani and plants go figure
Nice! But you're going to need more space soon for more carnivores ;)
Alternatively, you could grow then outside if you have the space :)

There are some bog orchids that do great with pitchers. I grow Calopogon and Dactylrhiza with my pitchers (one of my favorite scenes is at the Atlanta Botanic Garden in spring with blooming calopogons and sarrencia intermixed in a bog garden). I want to try habenaria and pogonia next.

The ones you're referring to are called Sarracenia Leucophylla, dormancy in these plants is actually triggered more by naturally decreasing light levels than temperature (mine went dormant in 80° weather) so a cool area is not needed for them :)

Really? Good to know!
Thanks.
I'm going to search for it and get one, then. Yay!!! :)

By the way, do they need to stay moist even during the dormancy?

I have to be smart this time!

How big do these VFTs grow when adult?
If you're asking for pot depth, six inches should be the biggest one you get, in terms of width, it all depends on how much the plant divides as vfts will readily divide if given the proper conditions :)

There are some bog orchids that do great with pitchers. I grow Calopogon and Dactylrhiza with my pitchers (one of my favorite scenes is at the Atlanta Botanic Garden in spring with blooming calopogons and sarrencia intermixed in a bog garden). I want to try habenaria and pogonia next.
Nice! Maybe you could also try growing Disa orchids with them :) and although they aren't orchids, Rhexia ssp look quite nice and I'm dying to get some Lilium Catesbaei one of these days

Really? Good to know!
Thanks.
I'm going to search for it and get one, then. Yay!!! :)

By the way, do they need to stay moist even during the dormancy?
Great! Sarracenia like to have wet feet during the growing season (so water trays are really important) and always want to stay moist even in dormancy.

If you're asking for pot depth, six inches should be the biggest one you get, in terms of width, it all depends on how much the plant divides as vfts will readily divide if given the proper conditions :)

Awesome..ST Auction for donation if i get it right!

However lets say for one mature plant. what what would the diameter of the pot be?

Awesome..ST Auction for donation if i get it right!

However lets say for one mature plant. what what would the diameter of the pot be?
Anything more than four inches. Oh! Almost forgot! Terracotta pots can sometimes leach salts into the soil so I'd stay away from them, if it's glazed on the inside then it's fine :)

Latest posts

Back