Cardinale and Jersey

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Cardinale 'wilcox'is now putting on fine show with branches and 2nd flowers and Jersey 'Lauren' is now starting up. An eye piercing shade of red orange. Both were from the Ratcliffes closing down sale and are originally from the EYOF.
Cardinale is well behaved but Jersey has the annoying besseae habit of climbing.
I have repotted it and bent the rhizome over towards the compost and added moss. This may have to be an annual event if I want to grow this indoors in low humidity.

https://flic.kr/p/ZqiWw2

Regards,

David

Very nice I do really like both of them. I have just ordered and Phrag Jersey will be arriving in the week. I will be thinking of putting a moss pole in with Jersey to accommodate its growing habit

Culture

blondie,
A moss poll may work, I've not tried them.
Long stranded NZ sphagnum works well.
I have a Mem Mariza Rolando that is 4 inches vertically between each growth and a nightmare for indoors.
This has been tamed with the long strands of NZ sphagnum wrapped round the base of the new growth,
David

Interesting so far inhave no climbs on phrags I have one that has grow strange above the pot when given to me. Yet it's thrown new grow from the base in the mix.I have a few left obe moss poles will have to see how things work.

Update

Trying a slightly different way of uploading from Flickr.
0711048E-1ADD-4EB1-AEEF-DE62F348FA99 by john quaife, on Flickr

Woohoo it works. Just taken half an hour to do it !
Downloading B.B. code from Flickr on an iPad is not easy.

Photo not great the background is too busy but you get the idea.
Cardinale Wilcox throws short flowering stems with several branches. Great.
David

Moss and Phrag growth

Eric,

This is supposed to be MDC x Jason Fisher but flowered pink and obviously has Schlimii in it plus longifolium judging by the size of the new growth. The plant is in a windowsill tray with four others and all spent the summer outside and were then repotted and the pot surfaces covered in moss before being brought in. They are never flushed through and there is very little air movement round the pots as they are stuck in a corner on the floor. It doesn’t seem to make a difference to the growth!

13AFA2B0-5563-4834-A673-674DFAAF9D3B by john quaife, on Flickr

Next is Suzanne Decker. It’s been a vigorous two growth plant for about five years but this year there are four new growths and all should flower next year. It has had the same treatment as the previous plant. It should look stunning!
3E2A4CFF-3575-4245-A4B9-1F6713641262 by john quaife, on Flickr

Don’t you just love it when plants progress? I get as much pleasure growing them as flowering them. Sometimes more,

David

Back