Can't seem to get these to bloom. Ideas??

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Temps summer hi 82-84 low 70; winter hi 72 low 62

P. Prince Edward of York x bellatulum ('Golden Lion' x bellatulum 'Super Clone' [Orchid Inn 6/21]
4 very good growths + a couple of shoots
CF650187-B833-4C9C-A8B1-0AEC40F46AAB.jpeg
P. Rene Doll (P. Winston Churchill 'Indomitable' FCC/AOS x roth. 'Tennys' AM/AOS [division Door prize Paph Forum 1/20]
3 good growths. Recently put on a heat mat and moved from end to center of lights

763B7ACF-0641-4255-8DB6-67D316300B54.jpeg
P. Michael Koopowitz (P. philippenense var. roebelinii 'Crouching Tiger' x sanderianum 'Year of the Dragon' [Orchids Ltd. 7/18]
3 very good growths recently put on heat mat and moved from end to center of lights
2C2604A9-A1AD-4A80-AC60-BE420686A072.jpeg

Depending on the species, even just a few nights at that lower temp can trigger the required response. Worth a try.

Not sure where you live but they have a couple of weeks outside when the temperatures are suitable? Fresh air, brighter light and some rain might trigger something! I've used this for Phals and Pleione in the past, but not Paphs.

Deb, all the growths look great, so I have to assume that roots, water, and nutrition are good. The leaf size and color are also good, so not likely to be lack of light. I think these are in your basement under the lights, right? That seems to only leave temperature as the variable not being met. You have a tough time with the plants that want a cool period for some weeks to months in the winter period. In contrast, I am stuck with several months of 55 F nights and days be 70-72 in my plant room, which is good for some of these cool requiring types, but not the best for really warm requiring types. We are each figuring out that there are some things that won’t do well in our conditions. We can’t please every type of plant.

The first two are reluctant to bloomers by nature. Any roth x no-multifloral hybrids will be the same way. It has nothing to do with your efforts. They either bloom (very rare to have one of these that bloom regularly) or don't. Even when they bloom, many of these will take many years between blooming if they ever bloom again. It's just how it is with these.
The last one should have already bloomed since it has a previously bloomed fan plus two large growths, one of which is definitely of blooming size if not both. I think it will bloom soon. Maybe two spikes at once! Fingers crossed!

Deb, all the growths look great, so I have to assume that roots, water, and nutrition are good. The leaf size and color are also good, so not likely to be lack of light. I think these are in your basement under the lights, right? That seems to only leave temperature as the variable not being met. You have a tough time with the plants that want a cool period for some weeks to months in the winter period. In contrast, I am stuck with several months of 55 F nights and days be 70-72 in my plant room, which is good for some of these cool requiring types, but not the best for really warm requiring types. We are each figuring out that there are some things that won’t do well in our conditions. We can’t please every type of plant.
Terry:
I asked Jerry about the Michael Koopowitz as I bought it from him. Here is his reply:
"I would get it off the heat map and it should start spiking by May or June. Both parents go through drier brighter period at this time of year in nature and can flower the most anywhere from April to June."
So that one might be worth giving a few more months, but honestly, I'm not hopeful. it looks like it's time to give the roth x and other one away. Interested? You have the conditions in the winter to spur the bloom. If you want the Michael Koopowitz, it's yours too.

Noooooo! Don't give up! Especially the Michael Koopowitz, those growths don't even look fully mature yet. It will bloom, we promise!

I agree with Tony. If you feel like you've had enough, toss the other two (low chance to bloom them and even when they do bloom, they are often hedious. really takes tremendous amount of luck with these hybrids) but keep MK. You'll be happy!! ;)

Terry:
I asked Jerry about the Michael Koopowitz as I bought it from him. Here is his reply:
"I would get it off the heat map and it should start spiking by May or June. Both parents go through drier brighter period at this time of year in nature and can flower the most anywhere from April to June."
So that one might be worth giving a few more months, but honestly, I'm not hopeful. it looks like it's time to give the roth x and other one away. Interested? You have the conditions in the winter to spur the bloom. If you want the Michael Koopowitz, it's yours too.
Sorry Deb, just don’t have room for any big Paphs. I have a small number of polyantha/parvisepalum hybrids that I can mostly bloom but don’t want to struggle with more! My Michael Koopowitz challenge is with a new hybrid called Geselher (MK x armeniacum) which has never bloomed for me. Maybe this year.

I would not surrender right away. Your plants are super healthy and looks like they are conducive to growth. My take is to remove the heat mat on all and if you are not doing it now, add some extra calcium. For light, additional lower kelvin might help too.

Hi Southernbelle,
Take them outside to dappled shade for summertime, the temperature will change between night and day. The growths will mature, and they will flower for you. 😊
Really beautiful plants,you have there!

For the first two plants, 54F might be alright but for the last one, it might be on the lower end.
Both philippinense and sanderianum are warm grower without a marked cool off period in their habitat.
I would try to keep them no lower than low 60s, but if they were my plants, I would keep them well over mid 60s minimum.

For the first two plants, 54F might be alright but for the last one, it might be on the lower end.
Both philippinense and sanderianum are warm grower without a marked cool off period in their habitat.
I would try to keep them no lower than low 60s, but if they were my plants, I would keep them well over mid 60s minimum.
Thanks, I’ll heed your advice.

Back