Canon Rebel Line - Who's Got One?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heather, I can tell you that these are good cameras for the money, that is for sure. I had the old dinosaur Digital Rebel from 2004 for 5 years and it did great for me. I've still got a Canon, this time the 40D, a serious upgrade from the last one and I'm quite happy with it as well. Anyway, here is a good place to look at some detailed reviews for just about any digital camera:

Digital Photography Review

Have fun!

Hi Heather

I just got an XTi last week. So far so good. I had an older 8 mpx rebel befroe that. I find the leaning curve to be quite fast with the rebels and the cameras to be very tough. The lens that comes with it is OK, but I think you'll find the lens that comes with any camera to be pretty no frills.

Kyle

Hi Heather,

A couple months ago I got a really great deal on a refurbished XSi and have been very pleased. I have never used an SLR of any type prior to this and till pretty much have no clue what I'm doing. However, I did get a macro lens and took this photo of my Phal. Zuma Aussie Delight 'Zuma Canyon' AM/AOS when trying to learn how to use the camera

6p18qa.jpg

I was totally amazed :D. I am going to take a class at a local community college starting in 2 weeks to hopefully get to the point of somewhat knowing what I'm doing.

Susan

H-I've got the XSi. Got it when it was first released. It's my first dslr. Love it. It's all the lenses that have cost me! First a macro, then a zoom recently. It adds up. But, it's worth it to me.

I upgraded from a D30 to an XSi early on too Heather, and LOVE it! Better resolution, color, everything.

My "standard" lens (if I'm not taking the whole kit) is a 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM. It's great for damned near everything. I get a fantastic deal on a 100mm macro, but would have preferred the 50mm version - just too good of a deal to pass up - and just added a 70-300 mm zoom (mostly for birding and scoping out the babes on the beach).

I do have a Rebel XTi and all my pictures are taken from it. It is good but need to upgrade soon.

Ramon:)

Cool, thanks all. Keep the reviews coming if anyone else has one.
All of your pictures are always so great. I'm passing this on to Robert, who is wishing for one (Rob, Ramon is the AOS (American Orchid Society) award photographer in the Sac. Area, and as you know, Candace is there also so take a look at everyone's photos here if you want examples.)

Hi.
Seen this thread a while ago, but haven't owned or operated enough cameras to compare one to another.
We own Canon Rebel XT. Has taken many Kodak moments since bought about three years ago.
Problem- and I found out it is common one, and an expensive repair.
The pop up flash doesn't function. Looking back, this problem occurred a couple a times and we thought nothing of it, because after a minute or two, or a couple attempts, the flash would pop up.
Now, the flash will not pop up. I am pulling it up with my fingers. If the flash is needed, I get 3-4 clicking noises and 'error 5' on the display.

I googled- it is common.
Had Canon repair on phone. Typical scenerio is- send camera in, then receive repair estimate.
But, this is so common, the technical person was able to give me the cost after some persistance.
Ok- what could possibly be wrong? A small spring, a piece of dust???

$200.00 for the repair. Basically 1/4 the cost of the whole camera, small lense, and camera bag. WTF!!!!
I know I'm rough with my stuff, but we treat this like a piece of jewelry.
Thanks for listening. Clark

Clark,
Interesting. My MIL owns the model after yours, the XTI and she has the same flash problem. So, it looks like the design error wasn't corrected in the following model. She similarly got the repair estimate and decided to go with just pulling it up manually with her fingers when it's needed. I hope they corrected this issue in the XSI, as that's the camera I own. So far I've not had any flash problems and I've used it a ton.

I have a 30D and occasionally when you push the flash button it also will sometimes click a few times and eventually pop up. I don't beat on my camera by any means, although it has been jarred a few times, so it looks like a 'canon' issue maybe rather than the one line of camera. it doesn't do it as much recently as it had before, so don't know what the issue is, other than maybe if it's supposed to be releasing and the battery is low, it doesn't work quite as well.

Interesting to hear about the flash problem. I still have the "oldie original" first model and everything works fine, after schlepping it all over the rain forest in Costa Rica. I have used various Canon SLRs for years and I like their cameras. I know what you mean about the costs of some of the models. I have used a 40D and several others and they were great. If I can stop buying computer parts and computers, maybe I will plunge into a 1D mark IV -- but that is getting a little extreme. For the money, the Rebel will do an excellent job, and you can buy several lenses for the money you would put into the cost of a professional model camera body alone.
Rod

I have not experienced the internal flash problem with my XSi, but do use it rarely. Most of the time if I'm in a flash situation (other than the kind when I open my raincoat), I attach a dedicated external flash (Speedlight 550EX) with Omnibounce to diffuse the light.

Latest posts

Back