canhii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As you know, Istvan, I wasn't in any way passing a moral judgement. My observation was more of a descriptive kind.
From a conservation perspective I absolutely share your point - that is, provided the plants in question are propagated by seed in a nursery.

But how plants of a Laotian/Vietnamese species can be exported "legally" from China (sic!), still remains something of a riddle to me?

I think, CITES laws are unable to protect the species from extinction. Many collected plants are offered on local markets within the border and just minority of them land on abroad, in EU or US. Rest of them die after local collection. Said- to- be illegal exports are just a chanche to save some species for the future in this situation. There is a nice example of this theory about wentworthianum. This species is extremely rare, one of an Europian nursery got a mature pod from a collected plant and propagated succesfully. Now many of near mature plants are available from seeds. I think it means a new hope for saving this wonderful plant for the future and a new hope for protection all plants living in the wild.Another example is vietnamense. If there were no illegally smuggled plants, i think, this wonderful species were only a sad memory like Dodos.
So, I can get rungsuriyianum in Chicago now?

Have a look at these.Only few minutes and some click on FB... I saw rooms full of collected paphis....sangiis, gigantifoliums, roths, lowiis ....thousands of plants....and most of them had been just waiting for death. All are within vietnam, within laos, within thailand. Smuggled plants are just the tip of the iceberg.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-03-28-17-29-36-839_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-03-28-17-29-36-839_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2023-03-28-17-34-16-612_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-03-28-17-34-16-612_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    460.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2023-03-28-17-34-25-501_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-03-28-17-34-25-501_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2023-03-28-17-35-09-444_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-03-28-17-35-09-444_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Have a look at these.Only few minutes and some click on FB... I saw rooms full of collected paphis....sangiis, gigantifoliums, roths, lowiis ....thousands of plants....and most of them had been just waiting for death. All are within vietnam, within laos, within thailand. Smuggled plants are just the tip of the iceberg.
Ghastly.

I hope to gosh they survive whoever gets them. It’s so awful and heart wrenching to see.

Latest posts

Back