Canberra Orchid Show 2011

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
Here are some photos of our recent show.

I picked up Champion Paph with my dianthum even though the flowers had been open for months and I had pollinated two of the flowers. I’m told if I hadn’t removed the pouches I would have won Champion specimen as well. :mad: You cost me a trophy JohnM. :poke:

dianthum.jpg

I bought this Paph off a society member. It was meant to be a villosum but obviously is not. A esquirlei I think. I told him as I was registering my plants that I want my $5 back (jokingly). It ended up winning champion seedling. It only opened the day before the show as well. Nice colour and shape although a little small.

paphesquirleicom.jpg

paphesquirleiplantcom.jpg

Interestingly, I benched my insigne “Sanderae” into the show. The flower was a bit past it so I wasn’t expecting much. But the judges said it was not an insigne and that it had to be a hybrid. I guess if you have never seen an insigne “sanderae” you can be excused for thinking it can’t be the species, but I would have thought one of the judges would have been able to recognise it. At least they didn’t say my sukhakulii was a wardii hybrid as in a previous year. :)

insigne2011com2.jpg

I had quite a few other Paphs on the bench but you have already seen those so I won’t bother showing them. Here are a few others. This one won best multi-floral –

Paph roebellinii x latifolium

mttoro.jpg

Paph Helvetia

realpaphhelvetia.jpg

Another similar sequential hybrid

paphhelvetia.jpg

Paph Temptation

paphtemptation.jpg

paphs.jpg

Now that I have finished with the Paphs, time for the minor awards.

Champion orchid of the show, Champion species and champion specimen, also got a HCC award – Maxillaria longississima

maxillarialongississima.jpg

Reserve Champion, Champion Odont - Odontoglossum nobile

odontoglossumnobile.jpg

Champion native orchid – Pterostylus peduculata – this one aslo got a cultural award

pedunculata.jpg

Champion hybrid – Odontioda Joe Porter x Odam Main Ridge

odontiodajoeporterxodam.jpg

Champion Pluerothallid – Dryadella zerbrina

dryadellazerbrina.jpg

Champion Vandaceous – Ascocenda Peggy Foo

ascocendapeggyfoo.jpg

Champion Cymbidium – Cymbidium caniculatum

caniculatum.jpg

I think the Champion Cattleya is on the left -

cattelya.jpg

I don’t know how the Cymbidium caniculatum above beat this hookerianum for Champion Cymbidium.

hookerianum.jpg

Some Australian terrestrials –

terrestrials.jpg

Your dianthum really kick bootie and the esquirolei has intense color and great petal stance.

PS. What the devil sneaked into the show and crawl up between the two cattleyas?

Your dianthum really kick bootie and the esquirolei has intense color and great petal stance.

PS. What the devil sneaked into the show and crawl up between the two cattleyas?

A little otter snuck into the display. I think that one won best display as well.

I love Australian terrestrials! :clap: Do you have any close-ups of any of those?

No, unfortunately I don't have any closeups. Nita does grow those greenhoods amazingly well. They just look stunning when seen in mass.

David

Great pics David, thanks!!!! Your dianthum is a gorgeous plant :clap:, and a very nice esquirolei you got there!!! I am impressed by those Maxil. blooms !!!! Jean

Latest posts

Back