• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Canadian Phrag besseae hybrids!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYEric

Reaction score
I was checking some hybrids on PhragWeb and realize there are a few by Allen Tetzlaff [Black Dragon Orchids] that I would like to get. I haven't communicated w/ him in a while and would like to know if any of our canadian/enne members have either Phrag Dragon's Creamsicle or Dragon's Jewel they would part w/ or divide? :p

Toddy, I think you just have to know where to look... there are a few people in Alberta who have lots of phrags. Fat Old Bald Guy orchids and Mike Gabrielson. (look up their email on the COC website).

I have lots of hanne popow, olaf gruss and Maria glanzs. Probably a few others.

The best selection is JP Faust in Montreal. I think he's made over 200 crosses. Very good plants at good prices. Again check on the COC website. EDIT: Todd, if you would like I email me his list from last year. He makes a new one every spring, but this will give you an idea of what he's got.

If there is something in particular, let me know, i might know where to find it.

Eric, a women in my orchid society bought up lots of/ most of Allen Tetzlaffs old stock when he shut down last year. She might have some. I'll be seeing her this sunday. I can ask.

Sorry, I'm lazy. Can you tell me the crosses.

Also, Terry kowolchuck of florapecular is very good friends with Alan, he might be able to hook you up, as is Russel (post as phrag).

That should keep you busy for a while.

EDIT PS: If anyone is selling division of awarded phrags in Canada, I'm very interested.

Don't forget Zephyrus Orchids, one of our vendors here. I purchased my Phrag. Albopurpureum from him at our show here in Mich., but his place is in Canada.

Yeah, Zypherus is a vendor here, but there phrag selection is poor, and has gotten worse over the last couple of years. But there paph selection is great, and I think they have lowered thier prices lately.

They might have more selection then they have posted on thier website.

I have Dragon Creamsicle,not sure if I have any divisions left. Allen does not have any plants left just his own collection. e-mail me and I can give you a list of divisions I have.

Todd, Fat Old Bald Guy orchids and Mike Gabrielson are supposed to be at the Orchid Society of Alberta show next weekend. I'm going up there if the weather is okay. I'll take lots of pix...

Joanne

Todd, Fat Old Bald Guy orchids and Mike Gabrielson are supposed to be at the Orchid Society of Alberta show next weekend. I'm going up there if the weather is okay. I'll take lots of pix...

Joanne

I'll be there too!

wow, the Calgary show sounds fun! Too bad I can't go.. if the two vendors in Alberta have websites or email and they do ship across Canada, please let us know :poke: :D

Russell: Can't wait til the weather warms up so I can buy from you again! :drool:

Speaking of orchid shows.. anyone attending the Victoria show in March?

Thanx Kyle. I'm always interested in Hanne Popows and fischeri and it's hybrids. Dragon's Creamsicle is besseae x Mont Fallu. Dragon's Jewel is Cardinale x Coral Jewel.
Ohio-guy, it's a ***** to get plants from canada, otherwise we'd all have jackii and hangianums in our collections.
phragguy, I'm PMing.

jackii and hangianums, eh? Do you mean the species, specifically? And why can't you get them in the U.S.? Just curious.

It's a long story about laws, importing rules and paperwork full of intrigue and mystery:> It comes down to CITES and if you do a search on it on the top of the page or google CITES, you'll find reading to your hearts content... Canada and the U.S. interpret CITES differently.

Lucky for us they do! Even hangianum and jackii hybrids are illegal in the US, another bonus for us. Better get some Jo! I have a couple of hybrids....both Cloud's and Paramount offer them.

Sorry US people :poke:

Thanks Kyle for putting me on to Jean-Pierre Faust..he has an awesome list of Phrags! I better start saving up now.

Lucky for us they do! Even hangianum and jackii hybrids are illegal in the US, another bonus for us. Better get some Jo! I have a couple of hybrids....both Cloud's and Paramount offer them.

Sorry US people :poke:

Thanks Kyle for putting me on to Jean-Pierre Faust..he has an awesome list of Phrags! I better start saving up now.

Yes, well now that I know that they're so coveted ;) I will definitely have to add both hangianum and jackii to my collection, if only for others to drool over. :drool: LOL. You're right Todd, I see that Paramount lists a number of hybrids of both....hmmm, must go read up on the species to learn about them....

Heh heh. :evil: Picked up a malipoense x jackii hybrid at the Alberta Orchid Show this afternoon...amongst other things. Will post a picture of the loot a little later....

I picked up 3 phrags from Kimberly orchids, who bought flasks from Allen Tetzlaff when Black Dragon orchids closed. At least thats what she told me. Kimberly has a website with her email.

I also got a mexipedium and Jason Fischer from FatOldBaldGuy Orchids!

Latest posts

Back