• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Canadian Phrag besseae hybrids!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smartie, what day/time were you at the show? I got there late Saturday morning; some of the vendors seemed to be somewhat picked over...it was my first orchid show - I enjoyed it immensely!

From Forestview:
Paph. Ho Chi Minh
Paph. Jogjae

From Terry's Orchids:
Maxillaria tenufolia (bud coming)

From Paramount Orchids:
Phrag. Eric Young (in spike)
Paph. Venustum
Paph. Venustum 'Alba'
Paph. Golddollar (in bud)
Paph. malipoense x jackii

The whole gang:
IMG_00640001.jpg

IMG_00700007.jpg

Nice plants!
I helped paramount set up, very interesting to help out on Thurs. and I was there Fri morning for society ribbon judging, Sat. 4pm, and I will be there again today to pick up my Paph Lippewunder from the society display. I got Paph druyii (‘Orchid Loft’ x ‘Doc’) and Paph sukhakulii and Sedirea japonica from paramount. ...so I will have been there every day of the show!

I also got Paph (Junior World x Lippetor) x (Burlesque x Extra) and Paph (Pulsar x Red Pepper) x Shin-Yi Heart (compot) from Forestview.

I remember the Paph. malipoense x jackii, I was tempted to get it. When I came back on Sat it was missing, you got it first!

my photos aren't so good b/c I spent most of my time getting plants. I hope Jo has photos of the displays. These photos were just after judging. When I went to get my plant today but everything was taken down suprisingly fast, so I got no photos. There were many slippers! I did notice a AM/AOS on a besseae in FatOldBaldGuy (Chuck's) display.

Sophronites cernua
DSCN4388.jpg

Paphiopedilum tranlienianum The society display was very different, contempory and modern.
DSCN4387.jpg

Paph Lippewunder
DSCN4386-sibbling.jpg

and my Lippewunder who is a sibbling of the first one and didn't bloom perfectly unfortunately. Maybe its second blooming will be better
DSCN4385-mine.jpg

Nice photos Jo.

There was a very nice norito hasegawa too which I wish I photographed. We gave it 1st place in ribbon judging, it was paramount's plant.
It takes a whole day to set up the show but I got there 40 min after and everything was down so fast. The show closed a hour earlier than last year, which I didn't expect or I would have came earlier for photo

Nice pics, Fren and Jo! Thanks for sharing :)

Fren, great haul!! Esp the mexi and Jason Fisher :clap:

Now I really have to pick up a Lippewunder from Forestview. After seeing so many pictures of it from the WOC and this show, it's on my wish list now! :drool:

I gotta get me a tranlienianum. Jo the Photobucket slideshow is a bit difficult so I opened the link and looked at the album. Thanx everyone for posting.

Yup Forestview is where the two Lippewunder came from. They brought quite a lot of them over for sale. I gotta love the yellow tones and striping.

Last year someone beat me to Jason Fischer in my face, when I was about to get it. This year I bought it before the show opened during set up! :evil:

The Forestview plants were spectacular; healthy, perfect foliage; love that Lippewunder!

Link to slide show should be okay; I was editing it to add some names, so may have caused problems when you were trying to access it Eric.

Also, note to self: do not move Photobucket photos around; link disappears for any you've posted. Duh. :rolleyes:

Reposting previous pix:

The loot:
IMG_00640001.jpg

IMG_00700007.jpg

How the heck did they get Cyp. parviflorum in bloom already?
I also asked chuck. He had a fantastic display of phrags and cyp, and always the perfect leaves on his phrags. Anyway he said it was easy, just bring them out on Jan 10. So I think thats 42 days till the show (I hope this isn't a secret that I shouldn't be posting as timing is critical, last year we had some cyp buds, and the hardy orchid vendor who came (I forgot name) didn't even manage to get a single in bloom cyp for display disapointingly, just leaves and wilted bloom)

Forestview has the best foliage for plants I have ever seen! plus the extra growths are a bonus. They take care of their plants well obviously. I forgot to ask how they get their extra growths so fast... mine come after blooming. They sell plants usually with 2 growths, I also recieved one with 4 unbloomed growths!

The show was nice. Niether of you bought anything from me!

Did you get anything from Chan Thorn? She had stuff that would make lots of the US members quite jealous.

My list is quite long...

Kyle

You were in edmonton Kyle?

Chanthorn had a paph thaianum for sale but had a bad root system (I might have got it otherwise b/c its a new species, she took it off the table saying it will die b/c of the lacking roots). She sold tons of thaianum when I was behind the table helping Paramounts sales. Of course she claims that thailands gov't lets her import legally and the canadian's as well. I can tell that her plants were grown in a greenhouse before sale (healthy looking) even though she had somewhat obvious wild collected ones.

I work for Ecuagenera.

Chan thorn also had concolor var longipetulum and a dwarf philipenense (4 growth - 3 inch pot)

Did you get one of the ho chi minghs in bud?

I got schlimii 'black dragon' in spike, but the spike blasted on the way home...

thats about it for slippers... Lots of pleuros, masd and draculas.

Overall a very well run show. I did get to meet a few forum people, jsut none from here. I even won a trophy, best plant grown under lights (for hanne popow)

Kyle

Kyle, I saw your plant on best grown underlights! Congrats and excellent plant there.:clap:
hmm...why didn't I recognize you there, I have seen your photo before next to kovachii in the wild...

you might have seen me. I stick out in the crowd as im the young chinese guy with black and white glasses. Probably one of the youngest society members.

I did get a good number of plants from Chanthorn. I am especially happy I finally have a paph parshii and hirsutissimum. She gave me a good deal. I can't belive how mini the Paph philippinense are! Are they var laevigatum?

I wished to buy a Phrag fischerii from Ecuagenera, but I forgot to put a order through. I overheard them talking about some difficulties importing these phrags at the show.

Last edited:
wow :drool: thaianum and miniature philippinense from Chanthorn? I can't wait to see her this Saturday. Hope she still has some left :D

Latest posts

Back