Can you identify this flower?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephan

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I live in what is called the Redlands Shire here in Queensland Australia. It's not your Redland but the Redlands Spring Orchid Show was held here this weekend :).

One of the Paphs on show was purchased as a seedling St Swithin. The flower was awesome - easily three times the size of any St Swithin I've ever seen and quite definitely not the plant the grower purchased,

I have some ideas on what it could be - what do you think?

PaphUnknown.jpg

Cheers
Stephan

It could be a St. Swithin. The dorsal and pouch appear to be St. Swithin. Sometimes the petals are wider and spotted.

likespaphs said:
oh, i forgot to chime in. i think it's an orchid. probably a paph.....

...you sure it's not a Tulip?

I am going with Heather's guess: Paph. rothschildianum x Paph. godefroyae... I could be wrong, it has been known to happen... but of course, hell is still thawing out from the last time I was wrong... :)

-Pat

Personally, I don't see any Brachy in it (not as a 50% parent, at least). Look at that synsepal. Also, I think the pouch is probably more golden than what the photo displays. The flash probably washed it out.

They can get THAT big?? St Swithins I mean - far out. The thought on the home front was that the plant may be Rolfei cross st St Swith/roths because of the colouring and the size.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Cheers
Stephan

Back