Quantcast

Can you identify this flower?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

Stephan

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I live in what is called the Redlands Shire here in Queensland Australia. It's not your Redland but the Redlands Spring Orchid Show was held here this weekend :).

One of the Paphs on show was purchased as a seedling St Swithin. The flower was awesome - easily three times the size of any St Swithin I've ever seen and quite definitely not the plant the grower purchased,

I have some ideas on what it could be - what do you think?

Cheers
Stephan

G

Greenpaph

It could be a St. Swithin. The dorsal and pouch appear to be St. Swithin. Sometimes the petals are wider and spotted.

likespaphs

some call me brian
Reaction score
oh, i forgot to chime in. i think it's an orchid. probably a paph.....

M

Mahon

likespaphs said:
oh, i forgot to chime in. i think it's an orchid. probably a paph.....
...you sure it's not a Tulip?

I am going with Heather's guess: Paph. rothschildianum x Paph. godefroyae... I could be wrong, it has been known to happen... but of course, hell is still thawing out from the last time I was wrong... :)

-Pat

kentuckiense

Debaser
Reaction score
Personally, I don't see any Brachy in it (not as a 50% parent, at least). Look at that synsepal. Also, I think the pouch is probably more golden than what the photo displays. The flash probably washed it out.

Rick

Reaction score
I'd like to see the foliage and staminode, but from this angle I could guess roth with randsii.

Stephan

Reaction score
They can get THAT big?? St Swithins I mean - far out. The thought on the home front was that the plant may be Rolfei cross st St Swith/roths because of the colouring and the size.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Cheers
Stephan