Can you find the real frog ?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilda

Reaction score
North East Tennessee, Z6 , Sunroom, flourecent lig
Of course you can, but the frogs in our outdoor pond have always liked to sit close to their "fake " buddies , so they evidently can't tell real from fake !:rollhappy:
froggie-10.jpg

A face only another frog could love !:D
froggie-22.jpg

I think he's just a plain ole bullfrog . We do have Leopard frogs too, but they are smaller, and more spotted.
Oh -- I didn't think of bullfrog. We have leopard frogs and greenfrogs as well as spring peepers, and of course, treefrogs. My understanding of bullfrogs is that they eat other frogs, so I don't want them here, either!

Oh -- I didn't think of bullfrog. We have leopard frogs and greenfrogs as well as spring peepers, and of course, treefrogs. My understanding of bullfrogs is that they eat other frogs, so I don't want them here, either!

I think its actually a Green frog (Rana clamitans) Gilda, which is closely related and pretty similar to the bull frog (Rana catesbiana). If you hear calls that sound like plunking loose banjo strings that's the green frog. The bull frog is a deep VROOM.

The coloration with the green on the face, huge tympanim, and gray mottling is also a bit more green frogish rather than bullfrogish.

We have them both in middle TN too, but the bullfrogs seem to stick around the bigger ponds, but the green frogs seem comfortable getting a ways away from big ponds, and will hang out around bitty creeks and small ornamental backyard ponds.

I'm afraid bullfrogs are found in Michigan already Dot, but hopefully they won't infest any waterway near you (unless you're hankering for some frog legs!)

I think its actually a Green frog (Rana clamitans) Gilda, which is closely related and pretty similar to the bull frog (Rana catesbiana). If you hear calls that sound like plunking loose banjo strings that's the green frog. The bull frog is a deep VROOM.

The coloration with the green on the face, huge tympanim, and gray mottling is also a bit more green frogish rather than bullfrogish.
We have Green frogs in our pond. They range from a solid green to green in front and grayish on their backs and rear quarters. I love hearing them at night -- their "gunk" call lulls me to sleep.

I'm afraid bullfrogs are found in Michigan already Dot, but hopefully they won't infest any waterway near you (unless you're hankering for some frog legs!)
I know they are in Michigan, but luckily, not around here. Frog legs, though tasty, aren't worth the cost of other species.:eek:

Latest posts

Back