can U ID caterpillar?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

goldenrose

Yesterday I got to see a cycada emerging from it's coccoon, this morning found this on a tomato plant. Can anyone ID it?
PaphMemVioletMay003.jpg

Those hornworms can devastate a tomato plant in short order. I'd get rid of it before the wasp larvae do their thing.

I had some of those on my tomatoes one year, and as people have said, they really eat! I had so many tomatoes that I just let them eat. :D

put it in a jar with a few leaves as a science project for some young person.

it's also a good way to help with the parasitoid (like a parasite but parasites don't kill their hosts, parasitoids do) population!

parasitoids are some of my favorite good bugs!

I'd remove it from my plants, but not kill it. Let the wasps do their thing so that there are more of them to nail the other hornworms.

We set one tomato plant apart from all the others. Keeping track every early morning for signs of the worms, once found we gather them all up and place them on the seperated tomato plant. Everyone is happy then! The tomato worms have their meal, the parasites have their meal, and some worms go undetected. And we get tomatoes. It is worth doing.

Thanks guys! We have tomatoes every year & I don't remember ever seeing one in the past but they do have good camouflage but not good enough. I saw it first thing in the morning, then the rain came, once it cleared I was taking pics of the paph & thought I should checkout the beastie & the camera was on the tripod! Here's what I found-
002-15.jpg

Wasps and other parasites are the coolest things, allthough with a little bit of fantasy it easily changes into the stuff that horrors are filled with.

Here's a "cool" example of a parasitic worm that affects snails.

[YOUTUBE]EWB_COSUXMw[/YOUTUBE]

And here's a nice example of a wasp that lays it's egs on catarpillars

[YOUTUBE]vMG-LWyNcAs[/YOUTUBE]

Very impressive how one creature can actually affect that behaviour of other creatures.

Stuff of horrors I say!!!!!

Latest posts

Back