Can I apply Physan 27 and a Safer Soap together?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 2 cents.... I would try blasting them off with water. Awhile back I thought I aquired a plant that was infested with mites so every day for two weeks I use my kitchen sink sprayer, and bombared the plant with water and I have not seen any pock marks on the newer leaves.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't tell you what an ordeal it would be to take all the plants out individually and wash them off. That preditory mite thing sounds interesting. I really want something that's a hardcore killer of the mites and any other pests I dont see. Start this years growing cycle off right.

Ok so I rea this on that www.greenmethods.com..." Please note, however, if you see tiny, individual silken strands randomly strung from one plant to another any distance greater than one inch, you’re probably not seeing spider mite webbing. Instead, especially if seen in a structure where chemicals are not used, you’ll have spiders working in your facility. You, therefore, will have no reason for alarm."

The strands are longer that one inch, much longer in some cases. This is good and bad. Good that I might not have have spider mites. (yay) Bad that I've got something and I don't have a clue what it is. Im gonna take pics of what Im seeing on these plants an post.

Im sure its some horrible virus that can't be cured and Ill have to toss all the plants in the oven.

I have a phal bellina and phal bellina x amboinense that is constantly infested with mites (or the symptoms I can't see mites). I can't grow any new leaves on the either, they keep dying...probably attacked too:mad: (I can't believe I can't grow a phal)

Luckily no paphs have been attacked by mites

I bought the 75% merit powder and have used it (expensive stuff!). Also used Pyrithrins (I tried to stay away from it, I did an experiment on Brassica and it dwarfs the plants). My mealy bug infestation is nearly gone. I'm waiting to get a third type of pesticide once garden centers load up for spring and wipe out that mealy bug population completely.

Heather - yes I mean mites.

scooby5757- I could see how it would be a pain to spray down a large number of plants. I was lucky to catche the problem before the plant was placed with my other plants.

Just a note for those that might be unaware ... Physan 20 at least is a quarterniary ammonium ion, as are some other disinfectants (don't know about phyton), however these agents are neutralised by normal detergents (negatively charged) ... again don't know about safer soap ... if it is a soap type detergent then don't use with quarts.
Tim

Latest posts

Back