Can 'decorative' foggers have a place in a slipper collection?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentuckiense

Debaser
Reaction score
I went into a Discovery Channel Store today and saw this product. It wasn't too expensive and it made me curious as to if it could increase the local humidity in my (enclosed) collection. Anyone have any experience? Think it'd be worth it?

I couldn't see the product cause their site is down for maintenance right now, but Ulla Jurrisen (who owns Kelley's Korner Orchid Supplies) has a great fogger/mister set up which she always uses in her show displays. This is from February. It isn't a great photo but I think you can see the mist coming out around the edges of it.

img0028cx0.jpg

If you go to their site, you can see the components that they used to build it. I have talked to her about it a little. I think she keeps it running all the time in their greenhouse and the moss just grew. At each show, she just "decorates" it with little mounted plants and other miniatures. It think there are some plants that grow on it all the time. It's pretty damn cool, if you ask me.

I don't think that exactly answered your question, but maybe it will keep you thinking about such a project, Zach.

Zach that little fogger-mister is pretty neat. Very compact and looks like it operates just like its bigger 'humidifier' cousins. Plus the orchids will love the pulsating, changing colors!!

My experience with the commercial humidifiers which operate in the same manner was less than satisfying. I was able to increase the RH in my small growing area to a constant 70%+ in my otherwise dry apartment in the winter. However, the mist is cool to the touch and it cooled my plants off quite a bit, actually a lot more than I wanted at that time of year. This time of year you won't have an issue with cool temps, but its something to think about.

Give it a try?

BTW I love how the tag under your name says 'banned.' I figured it was only a matter of time. :)

the only thing i'd mention about that mister, mister is that the tank looks pretty dang small and you may have to keep refilling it. there are other options out there that may not look as nice, but have a bigger reservoir...

Okay, I can view the page now - CUTE!
I have to wonder though, if it isn't better just to get a humidifier? How big is the resevoir? I know you have a small dorm room, but if it is dry, you're going to be constantly refilling it.

cdub said:
BTW I love how the tag under your name says 'banned.' I figured it was only a matter of time. :)

We knew Z was trouble from day one....:wink:

we have used a sonic mister in the past. you know one of those little metal cylinders that has te ceramic disk that pulsatetes at a phenomenal rate to creat the mist. in an enclosed space it worked well. you just plop it in some water and it makes mist (plug it in also), no refilling tiny reservoirs. now i use it in my fountain, at least i did until the disk broke. they dont live forever. we have had it for about 2 years and it just now decided to die. :(

Latest posts

Back