Can an orchid be awarded more than once ?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilda

Reaction score
North East Tennessee, Z6 , Sunroom, flourecent lig
Ok, I have an awarded phrag Memoria Dick Clements 'Sandy's Gem' ,that's blooms are bigger all over this blooming than the specs when it was awarded back in 1995. If I took it to a judging could it be awarded again ??? By the way, it is the second highest awarded MDC !

What's the award? I assume an AM? I think this has come up before & the answer is/was yes.

Gilda, here in South Africa we can, if everything is larger, bigger or better than last time, and the best (highest) award stands.

Gilda, from my view, it could be awarded again...but....over here, it would have to point up to the NEXT award. If it already had a HCC, it would have to point to AM etc. It would be pointless to award the plant a second HCC.
Probably the same in the US, interesting to read other opinions.

Yes, if the plant came up for AOS judging, it would not be considered unless it was to receive the next level of award, e.g. from HCC to AM. However i think it has happened that a plant can go from a low AM of say 80 points to a higher point score of 86 points. It would still be an AM. The clonal name would not change.
Peter.

It certainly can be awarded again. If you think it's nice, take it in! Although a step up from an 89 point AM to an FCC on ther same clone is a tough sell in this case because... You must keep in mind that the flowers will be compared against the *current* standard, not those that 'Sandy' Gem' established back in 1995. If size is the only improvement, the judges will see that there are two FCCs ('Jersey' and 'Flashpoint') and that the 'Flashpoint' clone awarded a 90 point FCC in 2005 was larger in all dimensions and that 'Jersey' awarded a 91 point FCC in 1995 (the same year 'Sandy's Gem' was awarded) is larger in all respects other than synsepal length and width and would likely pass on the elevation.

HOWEVER, SIZE IS ONLY TEN POINTS!!! Color and form make up most of the points! If this flowering shows other improvements over current MDC awards, by all means take it in. What are the other attributes that makes this blooming special??? Are there a lot of flowers open at once? How many spikes, flowers, and buds are there? How many growths?

-Ernie

Yes, if the plant came up for AOS judging, it would not be considered unless it was to receive the next level of award, e.g. from HCC to AM. However i think it has happened that a plant can go from a low AM of say 80 points to a higher point score of 86 points. It would still be an AM. The clonal name would not change.
Peter.

We've re-awarded a clone with a higher pointage with the same award. Something like described above, from a low AM to a high AM. In Gilda's case the clone has an 89 point AM.

-Ernie

It is rather uncommon to see awards raised although it has happened several times in the past. I have had one plant increased from 86 pts to 91 pts, and have seen a few others over the years. There are many factors that contribute, size is the most obvious but improved shape, color, number of flowers and arrangement are as important. With paphs and phrags, often a plant that is more mature will present a much improved blooming.

I've received an upgrade of a past award. My cattleya bloomed out much larger, nicer and with more flowers than the past awarded HCC by someone else. Someone received an HCC of 77 in 2002 for it and I received an AM of 83 last year. http://www.csnjc.org/July2007/cgreenemerald.html

So, yes, upgrades do happen, but like everyone has stated the plant needs to compare to current awarded plants to be given a new award.

Oh show us!! :D

Here ya go..specs on this bloom : 10.5ct spread (prev. 9.6), 7.6 vert.(same) 2.5 (prev. 2.0)wide pouch
Nice and flat which was a big part of the first award ! You can get an idea of the size of the bloom from the whole picture photo. No HCC as this is a div. from the mother plant(which has not bloomed yet)..so what do you all think ??
DSCF0001-4.jpg

DSCF0004-3.jpg

No HCC as this is a div. from the mother plant(which has not bloomed yet)..so what do you all think ??

I'm confused. If this is a division of an awarded(HCC) plant, it carries the HCC award as well.

For comparison, and it would be directly compared to this award for a FCC upgrade, an FCC was given in 2005 of 90 pts. the clone was 'Flashpoint'. Here are the specs.

20080201-bisp39gaftsgqbyfhfghaxm5sf.jpg

Based on this award, your flower isn't as large as recently awarded. There isn't a photo of 'Flashpoint' so form and color aren't easily comparable.

There is an FCC that was awarded in '95( so much older) that yours seems to be very similar in size to. Here are the specs for 'Jersey'
20080201-p5stskgd52ptagqumqkis2hcyu.jpg

Maybe one of the judges can comment, but from what I understand it would need to be very similar to the more recent FCC to be upgraded. But, it's a nice one for sure and worth the bench space!

Here ya go..specs on this bloom : 10.5ct spread (prev. 9.6), 7.6 vert.(same) 2.5 (prev. 2.0)wide pouch
Nice and flat which was a big part of the first award ! You can get an idea of the size of the bloom from the whole picture photo. No HCC as this is a div. from the mother plant(which has not bloomed yet)..so what do you all think ??

I think she meant CCM (a cultural award) as the previous award to this clone was an 89 pt AM.

-Ernie

Well, Mr. Thread-Jack...I found some awards for Plocoglottis quadrifolia and Habenaria quadrifolia-no pleuro. quadrifolia.

The only "quadrifolia" hit in AQ Plus is...

Plocoglottis quadrifolia 'Max', CHM/AOS (83 points), a scaph relative. Didn't find the Wiz's Habenaria q.

-Ernie

Latest posts

Back