Came home to this...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's lovely. To me it looks like a hybrid with thaianum, not a pure one. Beautiful plant also. 👌
what are the differences?

A beauty, "insane" Tony. did you use the envelop trick for the flower or it is naturally that flat?

Last edited:
The trick is heat, and to not stake them right away. That said, momma was paper-flat and also held its petals horizontally like this, so most of the grex has been very flat.

The trick is heat, and to not stake them right away. That said, momma was paper-flat and also held its petals horizontally like this, so most of the grex has been very flat.
Thank you. That is fantastic! I think I need one of those in the fall if you still have one available.

Hi BrucherT and Tom-DE, I don't know if I can explain it properly. I 'll try. The staminode is often quite strongly green, it can be also lighter green. Then the form of the flower is mostly much less round, it's often a hybrid if it is. The petals and sepals are kind of round/roundish but the whole flower is more longish (don't know if that is a wrong kind of word to use).Maybe one could say that it looks more suprised 😁 I mean that the dorsal and lip are more oblong, and the same with the overall look. I think that 's the best I can do.
This does not mean that I would not believe, that tnyr's flower would not be real. I do believe it is. It was just before I was told it is, that I thought it wasn't. I have my self two or is it three hybrids with thaianum.

Both the flower and plant look lovely, and I hope it will flower a long time.

Hi BrucherT and Tom-DE, I don't know if I can explain it properly. I 'll try. The staminode is often quite strongly green, it can be also lighter green. Then the form of the flower is mostly much less round, it's often a hybrid if it is. The petals and sepals are kind of round/roundish but the whole flower is more longish (don't know if that is a wrong kind of word to use).Maybe one could say that it looks more suprised 😁 I mean that the dorsal and lip are more oblong, and the same with the overall look. I think that 's the best I can do.
This does not mean that I would not believe, that tnyr's flower would not be real. I do believe it is. It was just before I was told it is, that I thought it wasn't. I have my self two or is it three hybrids with thaianum.

Both the flower and plant look lovely, and I hope it will flower a long time.
OMG! if you start with light green or dark green... I have nothing to say then! LOL!

Last edited:
Just looked at all 13 AOS awards, and saw nothing that would lead me to think possible hybrid. If anything, this appears better that some of the early awards as these petals are held on a more attractive horizontal plane. One thing to look for is the horizontal water ripple effect on the staminode.

Attachments

• thaianum staminode.jpg
    thaianum staminode.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The shape of the flower is highly variable like many other species. and the similar one like niveum.
Some are perfectly round while some are not like this one. It alone can't question whether or not this is a species or not as such variations are just natural.
With that said, it says nothing suspicious about its identiy as a pure thaianum to my eyes.

OMG! if you start with light green or dark green... I have nothing to say then! LOL!
Told ya! 😂
Forgot to say, that thaianum has red spots inside the pouch, which are visible also from the outside. The flower is pure white, but there may be some red dots on the petals. And looking closely tnyr's flower it seems to be real thaianum.
So it's decided now, and case closed. 😉😁

Latest posts

Back