Calypso bulbosa, Colorado native

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

gore42

Last Saturday, I took a short hike to a Calypso bulbosa population on the northern border of the Rocky Mountain National Park with a few members of the High Country Orchid Club. This population was growing at approximately 10,000 feet, and some snow the previous week had crushed some of the earlier blooms (visible in a few of the photos).

Anyway, I ended up locating a few dozen of these little guys within 5 feet of the trail, and I'm sure I could have found more if I had searched, but I had to get back home quickly that day, so I let these photos suffice. There were 2-3 groups of several plants growing together, and then many single plants along the trail's edge. Because of the late snow, as I say, not all of them were in the best shape. I tried to capture them in as many stages of blooming as I could find.

I can't decide which photos to post, so I'm just posting a ton of them. Hope you like them!

calypso1.jpg

calypso2.jpg

calypso3.jpg

calypso4.jpg

calypso5.jpg

calypso6.jpg

calypso7.jpg

calypso8.jpg

calypso9.jpg

calypso10.jpg

More to come....

calypso11.jpg

calypso12.jpg

calypso13.jpg

calypso14.jpg

And that's it for now :) Next on my list are the native Cyps...

As Ever,
Matthew Gore

Eric,

They do have a huge range... they're found across North America and Northern Europe (at least Scandanavia), but with a good deal of variation, I'm told.

- Matt

Great find! Not too long ago, I saw a Calypso bulbosa plant and flower for the first time -- I was surprised at how small it is. It sure is cute, though. Nice photos, Matt.

Latest posts

Back