Callosum viniferum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
'Perfect Circle' x 'Vini Beauty'

I bought this as a small plant two years ago.
It has been growly slowly but steadily, and finally in bloom!

The shape isn't really callosum to my eyes, but it all fits the parents's names, I think.
It opened up rather crinkly, but it is straighten itself out nicely.

Still in its 2 inch pot and I plan to repot it into a larger one after the flower fades.
hopefully it will flower every year from now on. :)

LNJSyGLl.jpg

F71QdkJl.jpg

I have these as well. From Little Frog? I think it's more likely bred from the JAC calloum and not the viniferum. The original viniferum have solid warted petals to the point of being distorted and strong green in the background of the petals.

What a beauty! Fabulous, indeed! :clap:

I think it's more likely bred from the JAC calloum and not the viniferum.
Could anybody be so kind as to explain to me, what JAC callosum means - and in what way Happypaphy's plant should differs from fma. viniferum (looks quite wine coloured to my inexperienced, but very envious eye! :))?

I have two, very small young plants of fma. viniferum (bought from Asendorfer Orchideensucht), each in a 6.5 cm (2.55 inches) pot. They seem to be in good growth...but seeing Happypaphy's flower makes me even more impatient than I was before!

Kind regards,
Jens

From what I understand, viniferum is a general term referring to any dark ( vini) colored callosum and JAC is a specific clonal name of such vini variety.

I bought my plantlets, P. callosum fma. viniferum, from Hilmar Bauch at Asendorfer Orchidensucht. He is usually very finicky in determining plants/species...and I find, thatthere is quite a similarity between Happypaphy's flower and mr. Bauchs photo of the flower of his mother plant of this variety:

Attachments

• p-callosum-var-viniferum-062-large (1).jpg
    p-callosum-var-viniferum-062-large (1).jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 21
Ok, I'm only partly correct. This line breeding of callosum for wine or vini coloration most likely is coming from a true callosum called, 'Sparkling Burgundy' FCC/AOS. If I remember correctly which clearly is iffy, that plant was originally owned by Stewart Orchids.
Look over the article from Orchid Digest, Oct-Nov-Dec, 2000 by Harold Koopowitz and Norito Hasegawa

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back