Calling all orchid identifiers!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bluefirepegasus

Hey guys! I bought an orchid today at home depot and it did not have a tag. I am not sure what kind it is.

It shares the kind of monopodial growth as a cymbidium. The leaves are monocotally viened....the viens make deep ribs in the spear shaped leaves. It has a nice medium green color.

It has a bloom spike that has started out of the bottom of the base of the psuedobulb. The stem is thick and straight...around 10 to 11 inches. On the very top of the stem there is a cluster of minature flowers. They are bright fuscia in color and all crowded together. They have a dramatically arched anther cap/pollen holder. And they smell oh so good! Like grape or fruit gum! The lip is yellow and then purple.

I am going to call the seller tomorrow but I think they are wholesale and there will be many hoops to jump through to find the grower. A company called Green Leaf Nursery, Inc. in homestead florida.

Thanks for the read and hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Bluefirepegasus

Mystery Orchid

Here are the pictures of my mystery orchid.
:rollhappy:

Attachments

• orchid.JPG
    orchid.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 31
  • orchid2.JPG
    orchid2.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 26
Hey! How about Spathoglottis deplanchei or Deplanche's Spathoglottis.

I think that is it! Thanks!

Bluefirepegasus

Hmmm...uh oh. This flower smells like grape bubble gum. Hmm......does anyone know if it is a possible spathoglottis with a smell? They look almost identical.

Bluefirepegasus

Oh my.....how embarrassing! Sorry for the mixup on the termonology. I can't believe I did that.

Yes, they are sympodial and not monopodial. Thank you for catching my mistake! :eek:

heheh....must remember to concentrate more when posting!

Bluefirepegasus

Latest posts

Back