Calcium Magnesium questions

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NYEric said:
Since I'm using MSU aat 1/2 teaspoon / Gallon of water I'll have to pre-mix some. At least my feet will get a good soak in epsom salts.

Mix it dry. Mix 2 tablespoons of MSU and 1 teaspoon of Epsom Salt.
(Note the difference tablespoon and teaspoon)
Mix the dry salts together then measure out your 1/2 teaspoon to mix per gallon of water.

The result will only slightly lower the other nutrients in the total final solution.

Gonewild

I do not have access to MSU fertilizer. The one I am currently using has 2% Magnesium Sulfate but 0% calcium. I use RO water.
How much calcium nitrate would you suggest I add to your dry formula mix ( 2 TBS Fertilizer, plus 1 tsp MgS04 ) to get a reasonable balance of Mg/Ca?

I use a constant feed at 1/4 tsp/gal.

NYEric said:
Thanx. Maybe that will induce the Paphs to bloom instead of divide.

It is my understanding that Magnesium helps/improves the photosynthesis process rather than the blooming one.

Lance?

consettbay2003 said:
Gonewild

I do not have access to MSU fertilizer. The one I am currently using has 2% Magnesium Sulfate but 0% calcium. I use RO water.
How much calcium nitrate would you suggest I add to your dry formula mix ( 2 TBS Fertilizer, plus 1 tsp MgS04 ) to get a reasonable balance of Mg/Ca?

I use a constant feed at 1/4 tsp/gal.

That will depend on what else is in the fertilizer you are using. Calcium nitrate will also add some nitrogen so that needs to be considered for the total. Tell me the % of nutrients in the fertilizer you are using and I'll see how it works out.

IdahoOrchid said:
It is my understanding that Magnesium helps/improves the photosynthesis process rather than the blooming one.

Lance?

That is correct magnesium is an important nutrient for the leaf chlorophyll function. But the first step in getting plants to bloom faster and better is to grow them faster and better.

I don't think any nutrient has really been proven to initiate blooming. Deficiencies may prevent or delay blooming but adding extra won't directly cause blooming.

Does anyone know if the Epsom salts treatment is just used for paphs or all of our orchids?:confused: :confused:

L I Jane said:
Does anyone know if the Epsom salts treatment is just used for paphs or all of our orchids?:confused: :confused:

You can use Epsom salts on other orchids too.

Epsom salts is just another name for Magnesium sulfate which is a common ingredient in fertilizer mixes. All plants need magnesium along with other nutrients.

Gonewild,
The fertilizer I use is from Ratcliffe Orchids and the formula is 26-6-11, 15.50% of the nitrogen is from nitrate nitrogen ( balance ammoniacal ).

They also offer a 15-7-30 formula ( 11.50% Nitrate, balance ammoniacal ), but I was concerned about the level of K.

As I mentioned previously I use a constant feed of 1/4 tsp/gallon.

consettbay2003 said:
Gonewild,
The fertilizer I use is from Ratcliffe Orchids and the formula is 26-6-11, 15.50% of the nitrogen is from nitrate nitrogen ( balance ammoniacal ).

They also offer a 15-7-30 formula ( 11.50% Nitrate, balance ammoniacal ), but I was concerned about the level of K.

As I mentioned previously I use a constant feed of 1/4 tsp/gallon.

OK.

Does it say on the package what chemicals (ingredients) are used in the formula? (Sometimes fertilizers may contain calcium but not list it on the label.)

I think adding the Calcium Nitrate to the 15-7-30 formula will be better because the extra nitrogen from the Calcium nitrate will raise the nitrogen level and thus effectively lower the potassium level.

After lunch I'll figure out how much Calcium nitrate I would add.

Gonewild,
I do not see calcium as part of any of the ingredients on the label. There is 2% magnesium sulphate.

Thanks for your help.

Latest posts

Back