• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Calanthe izu-insularis

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is anyone growing this species? I am looking for seed. Thank you.

Hey Gerhard,

To my knowledge, this plant has been lost to over collection in the wild and the plants in cultivation all are hybrid origin. Some retain most of the characteristics of that species, but aren't truly pure plants. Japanese growers aren't concerned with growing "true species", but rather enjoy the more flamboyant hybrid forms. Hybrids of this species are grown not for their flowers, but rather their scent.

Plants of such hybrids are sold of course, but I can't remember ever seeing anyone selling seed of any Calanthe.

Calanthe izu insularis

Hey Gerhard,

To my knowledge, this plant has been lost to over collection in the wild and the plants in cultivation all are hybrid origin. Some retain most of the characteristics of that species, but aren't truly pure plants. Japanese growers aren't concerned with growing "true species", but rather enjoy the more flamboyant hybrid forms. Hybrids of this species are grown not for their flowers, but rather their scent.

Plants of such hybrids are sold of course, but I can't remember ever seeing anyone selling seed of any Calanthe.

Tom,
could you check if this dealer has pure C. izu insularis. Thanks.
http://www.kiwamien.jp/archives.html
Also, if he ever sells flasks.
Thanks
Gerhard

Last edited:
Tom,
could you check if this dealer has pure C. izu insularis. Thanks.
http://www.kiwamien.jp/archives.html
Also, if he ever sells flasks.
Thanks
Gerhard

Gerhard,

Looks like he's sold out on flasks of "ニオイエビネ", C. izu-insularis. He does have some adult plants ranging in price from 100,000-50,000 per. Pricey stuff.

Latest posts

Back