Cal-Orchids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim Rose was the other speaker alongside me at the SOOS meeting last week.
I know they travel a lot and Jim has been very ill a while ago.
Even so a reply would be nice:confused:
Paul

Bulldogs can bite:sob:

They do allot of speaking engagements. So most of the time they are not in their nursery.

Ramon:)

cal

It run by a bunch of old ... it's better if you just go there. they have lot of good stuff, stunning L. purpurata among others, w/ reasonable price on many. But they don't do e-mail too well, or may be the boss & the sec. are on vac.?

I pre-ordered a few plants for them to bring to the Parkside Orchid Fest last month. It did take a bit for them to answer my email, but it was answered (they had been away), and Lauris also sent me a plant list that included some things not on their site. When I picked up my plants at Parkside, I was really impressed: they were bigger than expected, and very beefy and healthy! I will certainly order from them again. :)

No neos, so far they have the few that I already have. (I'm saving for Tenkei Fukurin from NWO... :drool: ) but I got a couple neat Neo hybrids: Ascofinetia Cherry Blossom 'Odoriko', Nak. (Vf. Virgil x Asctm. curvifolium) and then the species Laelia briegeri 'Star of Brazil'.

Most of the big vandaceous things don't do so well for me (and, well, they're way too big!) but some of the neo hybrids do wonderfully, bloom more than once a year, and are compact!

I had a problem with Cal Orchids also. My first order, I emailed and then called and spoke with Jim. He was wonderful, and picked out a large cym for a Christmas present for my brother, that is very ill with cancer. The second order was for mini cyms for my three siblings (birthday presents) and me. I emailed and Lauris answered. Needless to say, my order was never acknowledged. Since it was time sensitive, I placed my order with another another commercial grower.

They really should get their act together... I need to send presents (orchids) all the time. After my first order, I thought that I could depend on them to send quality orchids as presents. Sadly, I have to depend on one of those 800 numbers to get reliable service. It is time for them to hire somebody to help with their orders and website.

Claudia

You guys are going to hate me for this ...

My oldest daughter just enrolled at UCSB - the University of California at Santa Barbara. The University is about five minutes from both Cal Orchids and Santa Barbara Orchid Estate, which are located literally across the street from one another. As students go my daughter is pretty independent but we still find it necessary to dredge up excuses to visit every few months - perhaps it's our need for contact and not hers ... who cares?

In any case, I have the opportunity to visit Cal Orchids on a semi-regular basis and have also come to know Lauris from regular visits to California shows. Jim and Lauris are some of the nicest and most accomodating orchid people I know, an have always gone out of their way to make sure the plants I'm buying are top notch. I've purchased by phone, on-line, at shows and at the nursery in Santa Barbara - never had a bad experience. I will say though, that as I gain experience in the orchid world I increasingly understand the difficulties growers experience in trying to balance presences on-line, at shows, at speaking engagements, at the nursery, by phone, by mail, etc., and to do that all with the care of plants in the background! Anyone thinking of growing and selling orchids retail should really look into the realities of the job; it's brutal.

I can't recommend Cal Orchids highly enough. They're the kind of people I like to deal with. Be patient though and consider their frantic schedule. If you're one of those who needs instant response to e-mails (not that there's anything wrong with that ...), look somethere else but understand that you've overlooked a fun group of folks and a lot of nice plants.

Back