C. walkeriana - Two Leaf Growths this Year

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stone, you provided me with the following link to an article, where Pendentive and Orchidglade by genetic sequencing were compared to certain walkerianas. Thank you! Although, not definitively conclusive, it was a stimulating read:
https://www.researchgate.net/public...ved_Cattleya_walkeriana_Gardner_famous_clones
I think, that those who argue for the position, that Pendentive more veers in the direction of 'x dolosa' (i.e. loddigesii x walkeriana) due to the hitherto available genetic findings, but also due to morphological analysis, have some strong points.

But, thank God, in these matters I'm not at botanist, but just a hobby grower, who can allow myself to enjoy the flowers of the plant, without laying awake at night tormented by the thoughts of its true taxonomix designation! 🤭

I have a wild form of walkeriana which never throws 2 leaves. I don't know what that means. It could be a subspecies or something. All my others can throw 2 leaves from time to time. With pendentive and it's children it is very common. At least 50/50 for me.

Hard to say what's happening there. Maybe it never will put up two leaves ...... or just hasn't yet put out two. Could still have a chance of putting out two in the future.

Sometimes we see young plants/seedlings of supposedly 'unifoliate' orchids put out two leaves ..... and not just seedlings will do that. Mature plants could do that too.

Thanks guys for the discussion on this... it is of importance to me as I breed and hybridize. Because of that I attend judging. I'm working to resolving the issues of two leaves and blooming on a leafed growth because there are those that insist that plants with two leaf growths and blooming on leafed growths can not be walkers. I don't want to bring a plant to judging and have it screened because a judge believes my plant is not a walker.

blooming on a leafed growth because there are those that insist that plants with two leaf growths and blooming on leafed growths can not be walkers. I don't want to bring a plant to judging and have it screened because a judge believes my plant is not a walker.

Interesting topic phred! Do you mean you only take to judging the ones with all single leaves?

Last edited:
Interesting topic! Do you mean you only take to judging the ones with all single leaves?
An awarded parent provides a marketing benefit when selling seedlings. I don't just bring walkers with one leaf or with an old bloom spikes with leaves but I do worry about it.

An awarded parent provides a marketing benefit when selling seedlings. I don't just bring walkers with one leaf or with an old bloom spikes with leaves but I do worry about it.

One way to find out is to consult the 'authorities' .... like AOS .... to see what their view or stance is for this area. I don't think there is absolute certainty that some particular walkeriana will always have a single leaf for every bulb. Maybe not enough very long term or long time observation of a particular kind of plant from enough people to draw solid conclusions on 'raw species' walkeriana unable to produce 2 leaves.

One way to find out is to consult the 'authorities' .... like AOS .... to see what their view or stance is for this area. I don't think there is absolute certainty that some particular walkeriana will always have a single leaf for every bulb. Maybe not enough very long term or long time observation of a particular kind of plant from enough people to draw solid conclusions on 'raw species' walkeriana unable to produce 2 leaves.
I have but if you have ever had orchids judged before then you know there are judges that have their own views even if they're contrary to what AOS says. Examples like 'it's great but it only one growth and will be better when its older so bring it back next year', 'we don't give collateral awards' and 'there are too many of this species awarded and it wouldn't be special to recieve an award for it'... all stuff that's been said to me at a number of centers and AOS disagrees with all of these.

Phred ----- if upstream AOS says in writing that any walkeriana will not be disadvantaged in judging due to some bulbs having 2 leaves, then that should be ok. Because if a judge tries to get you for it, then that judge should be investigated.

Lol... you're correct but when you push an issue you run the risk of future problems at your local judging center. They view you as a problem.

Lol... you're correct but when you push an issue you run the risk of future problems at your local judging center. They view you as a problem.

I know what you mean Phred. But if there is a smart and strategic way to weed out or expose the corrupt or 'dodgy' judges, then it needs to be done.

Yes I think ''Deborah'' is from a selfing. It is almost identical but not quite. Mine is more elongated than Pendentive.
Hello Stone
You have ‘Deborah’? If ‘Pendentive’ is a hybrid I would assume the offspring from a selfing might show considerable variation. I wonder if anyone has looked at that?

Fred, this is indeed an issue at the judging of species (AOS and international judging). So many judges have different experiences and will have their say. If a species is ever in doubt, it can be judged and sent to SITF (species identification task force at AOS HQ) or an experienced judge with a specialty in that genus will be consulted.

In the case of your walkerianas, I have consulted several world authorities and judges about the two leaved issue. Most say that it does occasionally happen (with good growing conditions) but if it keeps re-occurring growth after growth, it is a suspected hybrid. Young plants can throw 2-3 leaves sometimes. This even happens in all matured unifoliates (like my eldorados).

As for flowering from a single leaved growth, most say it is not possible for a true walkeriana. On the issue of 'Pendictive' and 'Kenny', many say they are hybrids simply because they can flower out of walkeriana season, as well blooming on a single leaved growth.

Since I started as an AOS judge (associate now), we have encountered many 'super' species that threw us on a loop. Without the benefit of DNA analysis, and with only a name tag at hand, sometimes we err on the safe side (of caution) and pass the plant until further proof. This proof may come from taxonomic confirmation or the documentation of origin (breeder, nursery, catalogue, books, etc). Getting a plant passed of course can be upsetting to the grower (as this has even happened to my own plants). Do know however it is not personal, but rather the process itself and due to lack of more information. I have had plants passed multiple times before it was awarded, for various reasons.

My advice is to bring the original documentation of the plant as well as any literature related to the plant ID to judging so that the judges can make an informed decision. For example, I will bring books that describes the species and the varieties associated with it.

As judges, we know a lot but we don't know everything. We are human. Help us help you!

Last edited:
Fred, this is indeed an issue at the judging of species (AOS and international judging). So many judges have different experiences and will have their say. If a species is ever in doubt, it can be judged and sent to SITF (species identification task force at AOS HQ) or an experienced judge with a specialty in that genus will be consulted.

In the case of your walkerianas, I have consulted several world authorities and judges about the two leaved issue. Most say that it does occasionally happen (with good growing conditions) but if it keeps re-occurring growth after growth, it is a suspected hybrid. Young plants can throw 2-3 leaves sometimes. This even happens in all matured unifoliates (like my eldorados).

As for flowering from a single leaved growth, most say it is not possible for a true walkeriana. On the issue of 'Pendictive' and 'Kenny', many say they are hybrids simply because they can flower out of walkeriana season, as well blooming as on a single leaved growth.

Since I started as an AOS judge (associate now), we have encountered many 'super' species that threw us on a loop. Without the benefit of DNA analysis, and with only provenance at hand, sometimes we err on the safe side and pass the plant until further proof. This proof may come from taxonomic confirmation or the documentation of origin (breeder, nursery, catalogue, books, etc). Getting a plant passed of course can be upsetting to the grower (as this has even happened to my own plants). Do know however it is not personal, but rather the process itself. I have had plants passed multiple times before it was awarded, for various reasons.

My advice is to bring the original documentation of the plant as well as any literature related to the plant ID to judging so that the judges can make an informed decision. For example, I will bring books that describes the species and the varieties associated with it.

As judges, we know a lot but we don't know everything. We are human. Help us help you!
Hello Leslie
I have had judges, when unfamiliar with a species or variety, judge the plant and then send a request for identification to SITF... thats what they did with Paph villosum var. laichaunum and the Paph vejvarutianum I just got awarded. The problem arises when they’re not sure and pass on it. The exhibitor can’t say anything and once they pass on it that’s it until next time.

As for walker flowering... I’ve been told that walkers produce their flowering growths during the dry season and are likely leafless to conserve water. If the season is wetter they don’t have to conserve and can produce flowering growths with a leaf. In Brazil there have been groups of walkers discovered growing in valleys on the ground or on rock outcrops under the trees. They were near water where the humidity was higher, the light was lower and the temperature was cooler. These walkers had much longer pseudobulbs and leaves and initially were considered something other than true walkers. When brought into cultivation, as they grew, they produced new growth that was identical to the plants that were considered true walkers.
The C. walkeriana var. princeps blooms on single leafed growths. What would you call a cross between walker x walker var. princeps?

As for the season for blooming... OrchidWiz says flowering in the Northern Hemisphere is from October thru July. No flowering in the months of August and September. However, upon examination of the flower award dates listed on OrchidWiz, including the entries from Brazil, you find that walkers in cultivation can and have bloomed in every month of the year. Therefore, in my opinion, the issue of a ‘supposed’ walker blooming out of season doesn’t appear to be a, set in stone, factor in identification.

Attached are a few picture of walkers in situ from the internet... with credits.A1161421-5CB3-4C25-8E6E-75C2F69E7B42.jpegA9D14F20-30DC-4882-ADC2-008842C302E4.jpegFBBE7F84-95F9-46E1-AE1D-F330284A203C.jpeg

It's true walkerianas can bloom all year throughout the world, plus under different conditions may bloom anytime (like under lights). However the majority of the walkerianas that I have seen in the judging world has been highly concentrated in the fall/winter months to early spring (November to March).

There are always exceptions to the rules. These are the exceptions that get side tracked and may be passed.

However, it is not one but a variety of characteristics that are taken into account (re: ID) before a decision is made:
1. flower characteristics (eg open side lobes) and overall acceptable shape (falls within the range)
2. flowering growth (leafless or small leaves)
3. size (height) of bulbs
4. plant growth habit
5. flowering season
6. fragrance
7. known color forms or varieties
8. cultivar name
9. location of plant (Northern vs Southern hemisphere)
10. culture condition of plant
11. no other species traits are seen in the flower
12. no confusion with the tags or previous awards
13. previous taxonomic confirmation of plant in question

The above combination (plus judges experiences) will form the picture of acceptable parameters that the plant/flowers fall within. If those characteristics are within agreeable standards, then the plant can be judge without question. If any judge isn't sure, the award can be sent to SITF for confirmation of the species.

I myself am always learning about plants during judging and that is why research is essential while judging. We look at all AOS awards (as well as other awards) plus OrchidWiz and web to compare and discuss.

Unfortunately there are times when bias (and ignorance) does come in and reduce the chances, but that is generally countered with a well-balanced team.

The AOS judging center is always happy when people bring in plants because we get to see pretty flowers and to learn about plants we may not know much about. Sometimes this learning curve teaches us to be better judges. It is in my case anyways :)

Hey BucherT
Happy to give you my thoughts on this. My choice of medium was the result of having trouble with the usual mediums used for walkers... bark mixes or mounted. I grow in the house. The temperature basically doesnt change... air conditioning in the summer and heat in the winter. The only thing that changes is the humidity. If the air conditioning or heat is on the humidity goes down. The range throughout the year is from 35%- 65% The result was that when the humidity was high the plants in bark stayed wet too long. When it was low the plants that were mounted... or in baskets dryed out too fast and I have too many plants to water every day. With hydroton, or something like it, my walker roots dry out right away but still recieve enough humidity from the water absorbed by the hydroton that I can water every 4 days or so. If I grew in a greenhouse I would have other options.
Wonderful collection and thank you for your explanations relating to the medium used. I ask you if LECA is pure or mixed with rock wool

Back