C. walkeriana coerulea Season

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonderful! How many walkeriana are in your collection? Also is that a new growing space?
Hi Djthomp28
I have about 130 walkeriana and yes this is a new growing space. I’ve moved from New Jersey to North Carolina and am growing in a Greenhouse now... big change from growing in the house under lights and watering 4000+/- plants at the sink one at a time.
30D7ADCF-C501-4D1C-8C69-2D08FB25E68F.jpeg4EAA0D6D-0CED-4EBE-AAE5-8DE5DD440E05.jpeg60895E01-8884-4F28-BBF3-41D79E39281A.jpeg49663F9D-AB05-42A6-857F-C1876121E4D3.jpeg

good to see your posts again and enjoy your greenhouse...

Phred, good luck with your new growing area ! What I'm wondering .... it must have been a great challenge not only to move house but also to move 400 orchids which were waiting for a new home. What did you do first....arange your new home or put the orchid in their new home ?

Hi Phred, since I consider you an expert on Cattleya walkeriana I would like to ask you something: I am enriching my collection of walkeriana and two plants are flowering. so far they are on the terrace with temperatures of 10 C as a minimum and 16/18 C as a maximum. Do I leave them outside or do I take them to the glass-enclosed veranda facing south-west where the temperature ranges from 16 to 20C?

Phred,
very nice layout. Is the GH cover Solex?
Tom
Hi tomp
Sorry for the delay... setting up a small farm, restoring a farmhouse that was built in 1900 and started new job. The greenhouse is covered with double poly. There’s an inflation kit that blows air between the two layers.
that will fill fast.............
Why wooden walls and not polycarbonate?
Is all the wood treated?
Hello Ozpaph
The walls are treated plywood. There would have been too much waste with polycarbonate and the expense would have been greater... especially if I used all the joint, trim and cap pieces recommended.
Wonderful collection, are they all grown in leca? Might I ask what are the temperature and humidity conditions you're growing them in?
Hello Plantinmybag
Most on my walkeriana are growing in Leica (hydroton) some are in Australian Tree Fern. This time of the year I keep the greenhouse set at 60° F (16° C) if the temperature raises above 85°F a ventilation fan comes on. The humidity range is between 50% and 100% depending on watering which seem to be once a week right now.
Phred, good luck with your new growing area ! What I'm wondering .... it must have been a great challenge not only to move house but also to move 400 orchids which were waiting for a new home. What did you do first....arange your new home or put the orchid in their new home ?
Hi GuRu
The house I bought had no bathrooms, no kitchen and no finished bedrooms. I had to move over 4000 orchids not 400 which would have been a walk in the park...lol.
I left the orchids in New Jersey until we had a finished bedroom, a bathroom and the GH set up and fully functional. We drove back to New Jersey every 4 days to water... approximately 20 trips 8 hours each way. Once the green house was ready I moved the walkeriana first and the next trip I moved all the rest. I bought a 5’x12’ cargo trailer just for the occasion.
Hi Phred, since I consider you an expert on Cattleya walkeriana I would like to ask you something: I am enriching my collection of walkeriana and two plants are flowering. so far they are on the terrace with temperatures of 10 C as a minimum and 16/18 C as a maximum. Do I leave them outside or do I take them to the glass-enclosed veranda facing south-west where the temperature ranges from 16 to 20C?
Hi spes1959
In the fall I leave my walkers out side until the temps drop into the mid 40’s F but I don’t water them or let them get rained on. Cold and wet is a recipe for problems. When the temps started to get colder, usually sometime in November, I brought the into the house (75°F all the time). I stopped feeding from November through February but watered every 4 days. I started feeding again in March and put them back out in April when the temps got up to the mid 45°F. Now everything will stay in the greenhouse with a low temperature of 60°F because of the Paphiopedilum.
Could'ja spare one little white walker...please?
Hello abax
I have established divisions of walkeriana ‘Sierra Storm’ AM/AOS available. You can private message me if you’re interested.

To everyone else... thanks for all of your kind comments.

Last edited:
Hi GuRu
The house I bought had no bathrooms, no kitchen and no finished bedrooms. I had to move over 4000 orchids not 400 which would have been a walk in the park...lol.
I left the orchids in New Jersey until we had a finished bedroom, a bathroom and the GH set up and fully functional. We drove back to New Jersey every 4 days to water... approximately 20 trips 8 hours each way. Once the green house was ready I moved the walkeriana first and the next trip I moved all the rest. I bought a 5’x12’ cargo trailer just for the occasion....
Phred, thanks for your explanation. Seems your move was very strenuous for human beinngs and orchids.
As to the number of orchids ...... when I wrote my post I kept clearly in mind the number of 4 K but typed in only 400 .... a type error and clearly my fault. Lucky are those who read their posts carefully before pressing the <send> button.

Latest posts

Back