C. walkeriana alba

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Phred can you tell me if you follow the instructions of Charles and Margaret L. Baker about Cattleya Walkeriana?
Winter days average 74-76F (23-24C), and nights average 50-53F (10-12C), with a diurnal range of 23-24F (13C).
Thank you so much for your answer

Hi Phred can you tell me if you follow the instructions of Charles and Margaret L. Baker about Cattleya Walkeriana?
Winter days average 74-76F (23-24C), and nights average 50-53F (10-12C), with a diurnal range of 23-24F (13C).
Thank you so much for your answer
Hello spes1959,
I do not follow Charles Baker’s culture recommendations for C. walkeriana... I am familiar with them but because I grow in the house I don’t have the luxury of adjusting my conditions to my plants. I have about 4000 Paphiopedilum and about 150 C. walkeriana and they’re all in the same area. The heat is set at 72°F for the winter and the temperature only varies up/down a couple degrees as the furnace cycles on and off. I water November through February with no fertilizer and in March I start to fertilize. Somewhere around the middle of April, when temperatures are no longer dipping below 45°F, I put the walkers outside for the summer. I leave them outside until the temperatures start dipping back down below 45°F which is generally around mid October.
404D4D87-7422-421E-869A-12718F19087B.jpegE6FC143D-A067-4524-B02C-863A93A57FE8.jpeg

Thanks Phred your experience and knowledge on walkers comforts me. Thank you and I congratulate you again for the wonderful collection you have

Fred, I saw your thread not before now but I think belated said is better than never said.....these white flowers are great, a real feast for the eyes.

........I have about 4000 Paphiopedilum and about 150 C. walkeriana .........
Wow, that's what I call an impressive collection.

Hello spes1959,
I do not follow Charles Baker’s culture recommendations for C. walkeriana... I am familiar with them but because I grow in the house I don’t have the luxury of adjusting my conditions to my plants. I have about 4000 Paphiopedilum and about 150 C. walkeriana and they’re all in the same area. The heat is set at 72°F for the winter and the temperature only varies up/down a couple degrees as the furnace cycles on and off. I water November through February with no fertilizer and in March I start to fertilize. Somewhere around the middle of April, when temperatures are no longer dipping below 45°F, I put the walkers outside for the summer. I leave them outside until the temperatures start dipping back down below 45°F which is generally around mid October.
View attachment 31503View attachment 31504
Hi Phred I would like to ask you in which media you grow your Walkeriana and with what type of pot do you use, thanks

Hello spes1959,
View attachment 31503View attachment 31504
How do you water all those pots?
Patrick

How do you water all those pots?
Patrick
Hi Carmella.carey
In the winter I water my walkers one at a time at the sink... every 4 days no fertilizer. In the summer I put them outside and water them with the garden hose.
Fred, because of you I am trying a new batch of walkies on your method of leca in clay pots. Wish me luck!
Hi Leslie
Sorry for the incredibly long delay in responding. Good luck... I have no doubt you will be successful
Hi Phred I would like to ask you in which media you grow your Walkeriana and with what type of pot do you use, thanks
Hi spes1959
All of my walkeriana are potted in clay pots in clay pebbles... the brand I get here is called Hydroton. It’s the same as Leca. I’m experimenting growing some in clay pots with New Zealand tree fern which seems to be working out so far. They both dry out pretty fast which is important for walkers... see attached photos.
41122B19-08D7-4779-830D-82CE7059098B.jpegBC691E22-1535-4124-BCD9-C331546BE569.jpeg

What kind of lights do you use to grow the Cattleya walkeriana
Hi Paphman910
In the winter I grow my walkers under cheap two row LED shop lights from Walmart. 50000K... on at 10am and off at 11pm. In the summer I grow them outdoors under a couple layers of 50% white shade cloth.

Latest posts

Back