C. walkeriana ‘Isabel Rosalia Oliveros’ AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phred I have 'Estrela da Colina' x 'Oliveros' that was given to me as a division because my buddy couldn't get the thing to bloom. It grew well for me last year, put out 4 new bulbs in summer, but didn't bloom for me either. Any idea what I might be missing? I've read that shorter days trigger blooms, but here is yours blooming in mid summer!

Phred I have 'Estrela da Colina' x 'Oliveros' that was given to me as a division because my buddy couldn't get the thing to bloom. It grew well for me last year, put out 4 new bulbs in summer, but didn't bloom for me either. Any idea what I might be missing? I've read that shorter days trigger blooms, but here is yours blooming in mid summer!
Hello My Green Pets
Walkers, in particular, take some time to settle in after dividing and repotting. Sounds like your plant did well last year and will probably bloom this year. I do not believe they need shorter days. In nature the day length difference between seasons is minimal. Walkers growing in trees are exposed to full sun when a trees leaves are shed for the season and I think the increase intensity of light then helps push them towards blooming. In the summer my walkers are in full sun under shade cloth (50% black with a 50% white to reduce heat on top of that... still very bright though) Once I bring my walkers in for the winter they are under intense LED lighting. (4’ Shop lights from Walmart - 4” above the top of the plants). I do not agree with withholding water in the winter. In nature they experience a season with no rain but are often exposed to intense fog and high humidity. This provides moisture but without rain washing stuff down onto them no food. Therefore, under my indoor winter growing conditions I water every 4 days but I do not feed for about 5 months. I start feeding again in March or April and put them outside as soon as the temps are not going below 45° F. If I have a walker in bud when it’s time to go outside I leave it inside until it blooms to avoid losing the bud. To be clear this is what has been working for me but I settled on this after a few seasons trying other stuff. I also still have divisions that continue to pout a couple years after repotting. I grow in Hydroton because it drys out quickly and I don’t have to repot due to medium breaking down.
Hope this helps...

Latest posts

Back