C.trianaei ('Jungle Feather' x Self) ?????

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Patrick, the selfing reshuffles the gene pool and some progeny can be quite different from the parent plant. While many like "trianaei", both Kew/RHS and the AOS awards database use only "trianae".
I know that a selfing is not cloneing and I'm lucky to get simi-alba but it doesn't look like trianaei to me.
-Patrick

Here they are side by side. The petals are different shaped and angled differently plus its missing the "yellow eyes"
-PatrickIMG_20221223_100043.jpgOIP (1).jpeg

It’s a trianaei as I toss in my two cents worth. In a trianaei x trianaei sib. cross, the only genes available are trianaei genes. But a sibling cross does afford for a bit of variety to occur.
But when I see those wide petals as measured from top to bottom, that’s trianaei.
Now when you get them to flower, so much of the differences seen are far more likely to become apparent due to culture. Optimum light, ample watering, proper humidity levels are all things that we need to keep in mind. How little shortfalls can effect flower shape. Light to plays a role.
This is why so many people have asked me over the years, “Why did my mericlone (let’s say Goldenzelle) flower so differently when you compare it to the picture in the catalog?” I would always tell people it might be culture related. Mericlones have the genes behind them to produce a quality flower but you need to supply good culture. You flower it with poor light, much less water and too warm, you see if the flower is perfect. Chances are it’s close but not necessarily perfect.
Okay, maybe that was 3 cents worth.😜

It has little purple flareing on the petal tips. has anyone ever seen Cattleya x Hardyana with flareing?
-Patrick

So if you are going to post" and yes it ends with an i" and as it appears most of us are surprised or confused by this, can you please post your source for this spelling, and enlighten us. I also immediately saw dowiana traits in the lip. Below is the award pic for trianae jungle feather.

Attachments

• cattleya JF award pic.jpg
    cattleya JF award pic.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
So if you are going to post" and yes it ends with an i" and as it appears most of us are surprised or confused by this, can you please post your source for this spelling, and enlighten us. I also immediately saw dowiana traits in the lip.
There is a white one for sale on Etsy right now ending in “I”.
There are others without the “I”. I thought or could have sworn I have seen it often either way.

So if you are going to post" and yes it ends with an i" and as it appears most of us are surprised or confused by this, can you please post your source for this spelling, and enlighten us. I also immediately saw dowiana traits in the lip. Below is the award pic for trianae jungle feather.
Chadwick & Son, Jeff Bradley and Orchids Limited. But in my collection purpurata is still a laelia digbyana is still a brassovola and warscewiczii is C.gigas.
-Patrick

Ok so I have not done all my homework yet, and stand to be corrected ,my interest is due to my thoughts on a talk for the Toronto Judging Center on trianae. When using a species name , the research has to go back to the most accurate published botanical description by a taxonomist that predates all other descriptions. I just took 2 screenshots, one from the RHS, and the AOS species identification task force. Both use trianae. I am not going to challenge their decisions. You may if you wish. As Forest Gump said "that's all I have to say about that".

Attachments

• Trianae 1.png
    Trianae 1.png
    155.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Trianae.png
    Trianae.png
    660.6 KB · Views: 1
No matter, what your plant really is, Patrick, it's a very nice flower! 🙂

Concerning the correct form of the originally purported species, no way the name could be 'trianaei', not even if Hell freezes over. No botanist, his salt worth, would use that form.
Jürgen Röth, a German botanist, in his excellent monograph on the Genus explains, that Cattleya trianae was named in honour of Dr. José Jerónimo Triana, botanist and researcher in Bogotá, Columbia ("Die Art wurde zu Ehre von Dr. José Jerónimo Triana, Botaniker und Naturforscher in Bogotá, Kolumbien benannt" p. 83, Röth, Stuttgart 2001).

The latin name means Triana's Cattleya - and the correct genitiv ending for that is 'ae' (first declension), thus Catt. trianae. Trianaei sounds almost greek to me, latin it ain't for sure. As the 'i' is the genitiv ending of masculinum (second declension), the incorrect, double genitiv, apart from being a grammatical abomination, would somehow literally translate into: Triana's's Cattleya - a name I presume no one in their sound mind would make use of! 😎

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back