C. trianaei ‘Cashen’s’ Original Division

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great flowering, congrats! I’ve been tempted by this one, but this may have pushed me over the edge. On the list it goes!

Very nice, this trianae clone/division is an aggressive grower and can quickly get out of the pot. Grown well it can produce divisions every 2-3 years. I usually sever the rhizome backbulbs and place a dated plant tag in the cut, leaving the backbulbs in the pot undisturbed until a new growth reaches the root commencement stage then it is safe to remove and repot the newly created division.

Beautiful ! I guess for such a spectacular heirloom plant it deserves the i on the end. :)
-Patrick

I guess for such a spectacular heirloom plant it deserves the i on the end. :)
It certainly doesn't! 🧐

I have elsewhere before at length expounded on the historical background for the trianae vs trianaei kerfuffle*. To sum it up in few words: The latter is an illegit name, as it is faulty Latin and according to the code of botanical nomenclatura has to be rectified to the linguistically correct: trianae.

Otherwise, I wholeheartedly share your enthusiasm for Belle's classic and beautiful clone, Patrick! 🤗

And I will, accordingly, end this post with a word of consolation: even if there is no 'i' to dot, botanical nomenclatura still leaves you with the opportunity to cross the 't' like a man possessed! 😉

*If you have a penchant for nomenclatural nitpicking, I refer you to my post in this thread:
https://www.slippertalk.com/threads/c-trianaei-jungle-feather-x-self.54389/

Last edited:
It certainly doesn't! 🧐

I have elsewhere before at length expounded on the historical background for the trianae vs trianaei kerfuffle*. To sum it up in few words: The latter is an illegit name, as it is faulty Latin and according to the code of botanical nomenclatura has to be rectified to the linguistically correct: trianae.

Otherwise, I wholeheartedly share your enthusiasm for Belle's classic and beautiful clone, Patrick! 🤗

And I will, accordingly, end this post with a word of consolation: even if there is no 'i' to dot, botanical nomenclatura still leaves you with the opportunity to cross the 't' like a man possessed! 😉

*If you have a penchant for nomenclatural nitpicking, I refer you to my post in this thread:
https://www.slippertalk.com/threads/c-trianaei-jungle-feather-x-self.54389/
That was my post. ;)
-Patrick

I have 2 Louis Chaton, one from Waldor using ‘Summit’ and one from Orchids Ltd using ‘Mendenhall Summit’. Both are 4N. But I can’t breed, anyway. Absolutely no space. Maybe I’ll let you bribe me for the pollen 😉.
That’s a lovely cross too (Saw Terry’s post).

How do you know they’re 4N? By seller description or by plant characteristics? Have you bloomed them?

That’s a lovely cross too (Saw Terry’s post).

How do you know they’re 4N? By seller description or by plant characteristics? Have you bloomed them?
I’ve bloomed the one from Orchids Ltd. last Sept., they labeled the cross 4N on the tag. Here is a link to their description Cattleya Louis Chaton (4N) (Syn. C. Adela) (percivaliana 'Mendenhall Summit' AM/AOS (4N) x trianaei 'Cashens' FCC/AOS (4N))

I’ve not bloomed the Waldor one as it was small, might bloom this year. You bring up a good point. I guess I assumed with this one that because both parents are 4N, it would be too. Is that not correct?
Here is the link to their listing.
https://www.waldor.com/products/c-l...-x-trianaei-cashens-fcc-aos-1898-remake-4-pot

Back