C. trianaei ‘Cashen’s’ Original Division

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s a lovely cross too (Saw Terry’s post).

How do you know they’re 4N? By seller description or by plant characteristics? Have you bloomed them?
See my description of the two plants in a previous post. Here is a photo of the Orchids Ltd cross I have bloomed once.

Attachments

• IMG_0598.jpeg
    IMG_0598.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
I’ve bloomed the one from Orchids Ltd. last Sept., they labeled the cross 4N on the tag. Here is a link to their description Cattleya Louis Chaton (4N) (Syn. C. Adela) (percivaliana 'Mendenhall Summit' AM/AOS (4N) x trianaei 'Cashens' FCC/AOS (4N))

I’ve not bloomed the Waldor one as it was small, might bloom this year. You bring up a good point. I guess I assumed with this one that because both parents are 4N, it would be too. Is that not correct?
Here is the link to their listing.
https://www.waldor.com/products/c-l...-x-trianaei-cashens-fcc-aos-1898-remake-4-pot
Tetraploid parents do NOT guarantee tetraploid offspring. It is very likely though.
-Patrick

Yes, whenever pollen grows down into the plant ovary a genetic lottery occurs. Even a self crossing of a plant has a chance of producing a plant with a mutation or even some extra chromosomes. Mericloning avoids some, but not all, of the genetic adventure. I have selfing crosses of both trianae ‘Cashen’s’ and percivaliana ‘Summit’ and they are each different from the wonderful divisions that southernbelle has. I would have preferred a mericlone of ‘Cashen’s’ and ‘Summit’ but I was not able to find one years ago when I was looking. So, if you really love a particular Cattleya the pecking order should be (1) a virus-free division of the original plant, (2) a virus-free mericlone of an original plant, and (3) a selfing cross of an original plant. If a virus infected plant is self crossed with meticulous technique throughout the whole process, it is possible to end up with a virus free seedling, but it is likely to be at least a little different from the original parent and I would probably test for virus for several years of growth.

Back