C. tenebrosa 'Rainforest'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthPark

Reaction score
Just sharing a pic of C. tenebrosa 'Rainforest' captured toward the end of the day - close to sundown. I purchased this plant in January during a short holiday trip. I carted it home in a plastic bag on the plane - bare root, and potted it right away once I arrived home late in the evening. I noticed that the sheath can take many months (eg. 6 months) of no activity before something happens. But things happen relatively quickly once activity starts up in the sheath.

C. tenebrosa 'Rainforest'_2_2-Dec2020.jpg

Attachments

• C. tenebrosa 'Rainforest'_2_2-Dec2020.jpg
    C. tenebrosa 'Rainforest'_2_2-Dec2020.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
Privileged to share the latest flowering pic with you!

The pics below are nice and relaxing to look at too ------ which are from January --- on the day I purchased the orchid on the holiday trip, and took some pics after putting it on a table in the hotel room. A nice holiday casual look.

The pics below are the previous bloom from January of this year 2020.

C. tenebrosa 'Rainforest'_1.jpg

C. tenebrosa 'Rainforest'_2.jpg

Attachments

• C. tenebrosa 'Rainforest'_1.jpg
    C. tenebrosa 'Rainforest'_1.jpg
    492.8 KB · Views: 2
  • C. tenebrosa 'Rainforest'_2.jpg
    C. tenebrosa 'Rainforest'_2.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
That's exciting. My tenebrosa is just opening, too!! (6 months in sheath).

Looking forward to see more tenebrosa pics very soon!

I'm currently waiting for a Rlc. Memoria Helen Brown to open the flowers. Almost there. Hopefully I get a chance to take a pic of its flowers with the tenebrosa flowers both together. That would be nice --- fingers crossed with the two buds soon to open. Hopefully pans out nicely. The previous flowering of that one can be seen here.

Rlc. Memoria Helen Brown 'Sweet Afton m. Splash' :

Rlc. Memoria Helen Brown 'Sweet Afton m. Splash'_a.jpg

Rlc. Memoria Helen Brown 'Sweet Afton m. Splash'_b.jpg

Last edited:
Ive never seen the 'splash' form. I assume a mericlone mutant and sold as such?

I had seen online pics of mutated 'Sweet Afton' - but hadn't seen this particular one before. Actually - this one was sold with the tag of 'Sweet Afton' - but is clearly not 'Sweet Afton'. It is likely a mutated 'Sweet Afton' - so is no longer 'Sweet Afton'.

Roy from another forum reckons himself that it's a selfing - but hard to say if it is a selfing (or not). I don't reckon that he knows for sure. So I'm just casually going with an arbitrary name for it. It is at least a Memoria Helen Brown.

I also grow two other unflowered mutated 'Sweet Afton' mericlones (apparently splash petals) as well --- so also no longer 'Sweet Afton' ---- almost getting there to flowering size! But these other two are not expected to be the same as this one here.

I grow a non-mutated (or at least - visibly non-mutated - or true to flower form) 'Sweet Afton' too.

And also growing three mericlones having tags of 'Sweet Afton'. One of those three flowered for the first time last year, and also again this year ------ and it's definitely not 'Sweet Afton' ------ although it is a Rlc. Memoria Helen Brown ------ will attach a couple of photos of this one below.

A second one of these plants is going to flower for the first time - developing buds, which are still small buds right now. Maybe another 3 or 4 weeks to go before flowering time. It will be interesting to see what its flowers will look like.

Rlc. Memoria Helen Brown (no cultivar name) 2019:

Rlc. Memoria Helen Brown_A2.jpg

Rlc. Memoria Helen Brown_A9.jpg

Rlc. Memoria Helen Brown (no cultivar name) 2020:

Rlc. Memoria Helen Brown_28-Oct2020.jpg

Last edited:
And this is a pic of a previous flowering of Rlc. Memoria Helen Brown 'Sweet Afton m. Splash' captured by the previous owner. I like his photo a lot - a nice refreshing image.

Anyway - the more sun the flowers get - the more yellow they become. They can stay chartreuse or green-yellow for a long time if the flowers are kept in a shady spot. This goes for all Rlc. Memoria Helen Brown flowers.

Rlc. Memoria Helen Brown 'Sweet Afton m. Splash' :

Rlc. Memoria Helen Brown 'Sweet Afton m. Splash'_pair.jpg

Last edited:
O.P. ----- true! The lip colour and the lip shape are quite different ----- that's between my Mem. Helen Brown (no cultivar name) and the 'Sweet Afton m. Splash'.

And even for 'Sweet Afton m. Splash' itself ----- quite significant difference in the amount of purple and white colouring on the lip ----- maybe due to different temperature during the time of flower bud development. The 'Sweet Afton m. Splash' was originally growing in a temperate climate part of Australia - toward the southern part of Australia ------- and my region is toward the northern region of Australia. Generally warmer here in my parts.

The buds of my 'Sweet Afton m. Splash' are doing ok right now ------ but noticed the buds were piling up against the leaf. So I just shoved a piece of scoria rock to form a wedge between leaf and spike stem for some re-direction ---- getting some clearance between buds and leaf heheh. I took this pic today of the buds hehe.

Rlc. Memoria Helen Brown 'Sweet Afton m. Splash' buds_4-Dec2020.jpg

Back