C. reginae in Vermont

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

cdub

I visited a bog in Vermont this weekend to see the showy lady's slipper. The 8-acre bog (actually a fen) is owned jointly by the Vermont Chapter of the Nature Conservancy and the New England Wildflower Society. There is a boardwalk that allows access to the interesting plants growing there.

While the range of C. reginae is large and relatively even across the "northern tier", it is noticeably less common in Vermont. In fact, I seem to remember hearing this was the only known location of this plant growing naturally in the state (more locations may now be known ). The rare status of this plant in Vermont may be due to lack of suitable habitat. Fens are rare in the Green Mountains, unlike in neighboring northern New York and New Hampshire.

Father's Day is typically the ideal time to visit to see the lady's slippers. This was my first time visiting and my first time seeing C. reginae in person. I estimated about 200 blooming plants. As you can see from the photographs, many were still in bud. I also saw a Platanthera blooming (I'm guessing Platanthera dilatata), pitcher plants, and round-leaved sundews.

eshqua1os9.jpg
eshqua4ol5.jpg

eshqua5dq5.jpg
eshqua3du8.jpg

eshqua7ec8.jpg
eshqua8xi2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
nice pictures! yes, it's a bog candle. the tiger swallowtails love them, and you can often get very nice pictures by setting up your camera near one focusing in on the flowers, and one will often come by and travel up the stem. 200 plants is a very nice population

The one in purple is really cute. ;)

Oh wait, that's not a plant!! :eek:

Seriously, though, lovely photos, thanks for sharing your trip...

Joanne

Sooo nice! I have to admit I've never seen this one in person. I usually only get one, good orchid trip in a year (not this one though), and it's always scheduled around "my" arietinum clumps. Nice to get to see such evocative photos of reginae though--thanks.

Those are awesome, nice pictures too. Did u tried to sniff Platanthera ? the Platanthera bifolia I saw had a very nice and strong fragrance.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/62/184963895_24fd66366f_b.jpg

I couldn't get close enough to sniff it. Actually I photographed the Platanthera not knowing it was another orchid at the site. It was several meters away and I considered it just another blooming plant in the bog. Not until I downloaded the photos at home did I realize what it was.

I heard yesterday that two weeks ago, when these plants were not yet blooming, the conservation staff did not see so many plants so they were surprised by your numbers, C. However, they were enthusiastic. They're going up in another two weeks.

My estimate may be skewed due to the large clumps and the Veratrum viride (False Hellebore) growing alongside them. Either way, its the largest grouping of natural cyps I've ever seen.

Very nice and informative. Thanks for sharing. It is something we dont know in our country, wish I had some,

I think they removed the name to protect the plants from being 'lifted'... so may not get reply
very nice fragrance dilatata has; in full sun Ken Hull says they smell like cloves and honey

Back