C. nobilior v. coerulea 'Canaima's Diamond'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisFL

General Disarray
Reaction score
Plant owned/grown/bloomed by Michael Sinn, although I own a small piece. Extremely rare blue form of the species. So rare that this variety has never even received an AOS award. Color is slightly lighter/grayer in real life.

020508_cnobcoer1.jpg

020508_cnobcoer2.jpg

Last edited:
No way is it as blue as this photo shows. Everything in the photo has a blue cast: highlights, midtones, shadows. Sorry.

No way is it as blue as this photo shows. Everything in the photo has a blue cast: highlights, midtones, shadows. Sorry.

I hate to be a nay sayer, but I agree with Dot. The whole picture is blue. It probably is a coerulea flower, but is mostly white with a blue lip and some tepal highlights.

-Ernie

The color is slightly lighter in real life and has a grayish cast, but it is NOT mostly white. The flower is dark for a coerulea. Sorry, all I had was a point and shoot that I'm not very good with. The photo itself is unaltered and there is no deception intended. I just went back through all the photos I took and they're all like that. Maybe a white balance issue? Regardless, I've added a disclaimer to my first post.

I suspect it is a white balance issue. I'm not at the computer where I usually do my color balancing, but I suspect it looks more like this (Please forgive me for lifting your photo): At any rate, it's very pretty.

TooBlue.jpg

Dot, MUCH closer. Thank you. The petals/sepals are a little darker and the lip is still more blue in real life, but still, much closer than my crappy snapshots.

Great shape and color (in this pic) What are the plans? Self it?

Breeding blues is apparently tricky, and simple Mendelian controls aren't necessarily at work (have to breed for cell pH). I'd like to do some research and eventually try to get the lip to lay flat and close the labellum over the column while retaining the blue. Which essentially means I'm naive and dream big.

I suspect it is a white balance issue. I'm not at the computer where I usually do my color balancing, but I suspect it looks more like this (Please forgive me for lifting your photo): At any rate, it's very pretty.

thanks Dot. you made it a correct looking, but pretty Catt!! Jean

That really is pretty. I think your photo is probably very accurate with the color. It is difficult to capture blue accurately, especially bright blue.

Latest posts

Back