C. Nancy Off ‘Linwood’ AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteM

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
C. Nancy Off ‘Linwood’ AM/AOS (‘1010’)
(Bebe White x Joyce Hannington)
WAL - 125 11/08

recent purchase. I had to record the entire tag as I always find it interesting to see how different vendors label and organize their orchids. This is a first generation meristem.

After Waldor sent out their divisions list last month I called and ordered this plant, which arrived late November in sheath. Luckily the buds remained viable and just started opening a few days ago.

My goal is to collect enough winter blooming white cattleya orchids to time the blooms so I can decorate a Christmas tree. We shall see how this plan plays out over the next few years as I adjust the conditions. So far, lots of white Cattleya green leaves growing in the basement. 😉

D48FF34B-5260-4D54-A559-702FB60DBA23.jpeg9B08D21B-9ABE-4C25-A785-FECE8F64598F.jpegB2AB4962-9A25-4CF3-9F94-7FB3BB794229.jpeg

C. Nancy Off ‘Linwood’ AM/AOS (‘1010’)
(Bebe White x Joyce Hannington)
WAL - 125 11/08

recent purchase. I had to record the entire tag as I always find it interesting to see how different vendors label and organize their orchids. This is a first generation meristem.

After Waldor sent out their divisions list last month I called and ordered this plant, which arrived late November in sheath. Luckily the buds remained viable and just started opening a few days ago.

My goal is to collect enough winter blooming white cattleya orchids to time the blooms so I can decorate a Christmas tree. We shall see how this plan plays out over the next few years as I adjust the conditions. So far, lots of white Cattleya green leaves growing in the basement. 😉

View attachment 23983View attachment 23984View attachment 23985
Lovely, Pete! Can't wait to see the tree if it ever comes to fruition!

I can only join the chorus: absolutely lovely!

Which plant is planned to deliver the star on the top of your Christmas tree?!

A few years ago I sold my soul. The deal was I could build an orchid room in the basement, and my wife in return had complete administrative rights to the Christmas tree decorations and I am not to touch. However, late at night I have been known to sneak a few of my fun ornaments on, tucked someplace that is only found when we take the tree down. I have been able to argue for these two ornaments this year.. it's an uphill battle. The topper will likely be the same songbird as previous years. It's a very organic looking tree, minimal colour, so white Cattleya would be right at home.

santa_yoga.JPG2020.JPG

075F8ECE-44F1-4F6D-B064-0BA007BEE128.jpeg

Last edited:
I love your ornaments! 😁

Initially, I thought that your gain by the highly remarkable deal was unfair and dispropotionate, but having now seen your "Christmassy" decorations, I kind of get a sense of, why your wife - from her perspective - put forward exactly that pawn in the negotiations!

It might be adviceable, though, not to push the breaches of the treatise further than the two present ornaments, that is if you want to uphold "Peace on Earth, and Goodwill to all Men" (in the small scale of your home, of course).
I see for my inner vision the most horrid sceneries unfold: smoke and sparks rising in the air from acres and acres of scorched orchids, while the Avenging Housewife Angel is wielding her flamethrower with furious glee, accompanied by a mad, cackling laughter. Remember the words of the Poet: "Hell hath no Fury like a Woman scorned"! :oops:

I even think, that a mediator of salomonic wisdom would propose to you, that you acquired two Christmas trees - one being entirely your wife's domain; the other to entertain you to your own liking. This, also, would make it possible for you to start with a smaller tree, and then year for year, as your white Cattleya collection grows, to choose a larger one accordingly. On your own tree you could substitute the ol' songbird topper with a Christmas orchid, a splendidly coloured percivaliana! 🎅🎅🎅

Guldal... genius. We will cut the tree in half! 🔪🙅‍♂️;)

Actually, she mentioned during the arrangement that I could have my own tree.. I'll need to clarify if that was specifically in the basement... actually better not to ask. Just do. I can still do what you mention, start small.. work my way up. I'll start with this 'Charlie Brown' Norfolk Island Pine.. it can hold some lights and a few lightweight ornaments. I'll display it in the front window for the world to see. Christmas eve I'll chop all the Cattleyas in bloom, put them in flower tubes and arrange them. 'Honey, Guldal from Denmark was my muse'... What's the best way for her to reach you incase she has any followup questions? In all seriousness, great idea. I've got tons of time in the evenings, I'll make it happen, Thanks!

tree.JPG

Fortunately Edwin Buzz Aldrin's surname is Aldrin. Things would have been different if his parents were Nancy and/or George.
It's true that there was a Frank as well (according to the Waldor website) - involved with the orchids. Light-hearted humour only hehehe

Actually - I didn't know there was the orchid company Off & Sons until just today. And linked to Waldor Orchids.

Last edited:
Pete,
Thinking of your Christmas tree..
Possible additions for your consideration, some of which are in bloom for me now on the west coast:
c. trianae v alba, C. Hawaiian Wedding Song ‘Virgin’ (nice crystaline texture), C. alaorii (smallish but cute) C. walkeriana v. alba, C. intermedia v. alba. For the crowing star while not a Cattleya I think an Angreacum sesquipedale would be the cat’s pajamas.
sorry for wandering so far afield

Pete,
Thinking of your Christmas tree..
Possible additions for your consideration, some of which are in bloom for me now on the west coast:
c. trianae v alba, C. Hawaiian Wedding Song ‘Virgin’ (nice crystaline texture), C. alaorii (smallish but cute) C. walkeriana v. alba, C. intermedia v. alba. For the crowing star while not a Cattleya I think an Angreacum sesquipedale would be the cat’s pajamas.
sorry for wandering so far afield
Thanks for this suggestion! If anyone else has large white Cattleyas in bloom at this time, would love to hear about it. Definitely need to work on my list. The more I have, the better chances I have to get them to bud and bloom for the holidays.

Latest posts

Back