C.mossiae typical

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carmella.carey

Reaction score
The first mossiae of the year not only is this my favorite orchid but this is my favourite variety. Sadly it is not named one of Art Chadwick Sr.'s sibling crosses I especially like this one because the dorsal doesn't reflex back and there is no white margin around the lip like the famous 'Ed Patterson'. Only two flowers this year there was five the year before last wasn't grown as bright this and last winter.IMG_20220410_111039.jpgIMG_20220410_111044.jpgIMG_20220410_111050.jpgIMG_20220410_111055.jpg
Patrick

The first mossiae of the year not only is this my favorite orchid but this is my favourite variety. Sadly it is not named one of Art Chadwick Sr.'s sibling crosses I especially like this one because the dorsal doesn't reflex back and there is no white margin around the lip like the famous 'Ed Patterson'. Only two flowers this year there was five the year before last wasn't grown as bright this and last winter.View attachment 33564View attachment 33565View attachment 33566View attachment 33567
Patrick
Patrick, you can name it since it has not been named and it’s your favorite. Did he register the cross? If not ask Art To do it, or if he would mind if you do. Oops, I missed it was a sibling cross. Not sure how registration works with those.

Last edited:
Patrick, you can name it since it has not been named and it’s your favorite. Did he register the cross? If not ask Art To do it, or if he would mind if you do. Oops, I missed it was a sibling cross. Not sure how registration works with those.
Deb, a reminder to all of us that while hybrids get registered with RHS there is no registration process for cultivar names. When we write ‘Chuck’ on the tag it is done. A plant must have a cultivar name to be awarded. If two fantastic named cultivars of a Cattleya species are crossed, each resulting plant is a new creation. It cannot carry the cultivar name of either parent and you can name the plant anything you want.

I
Patrick,
one of the semi albas about to open. The buds are huge, nearly 10cm long. These are going to be big! I love the sense of anticipation when they get to this stage.
View attachment 33713
I also love it when they swell and then they sort of lean down under their own weight right before they pop open. Here is a coerulea that looks much more like alba with the smallest hint of purple/blue.IMG_20220415_085307.jpg
Patrick

Patrick,
if you ever get a chance, the mossiae semi albas that were recently offered by the Fischers at Orchids limited are stunning. They may well offer more in the future. When this one flowered I was so pleased that I bought another. They’re easily as good as any hybrid Catt. I presume that these were line bred for several generations to get them to this level.
David

Back