C. mossiae 'Cedarwood Splendor' AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just opened 2 days ago and already pushing a 7 inch spread. I like this photo best because it ideally shows that petal carriage and three dimensionality that hybridizing seeks to take away. I am truly in love with this flower. One of the blooms is reserved for a mossia sib cross, but if anyone out there has another amaing species or a semi-albe purpurata- I have pollen to share and flowers I can fertilize!

Attachments

• Cattleya mossiae in bloom.jpg
    Cattleya mossiae in bloom.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 2
Beautiful typical form. I can not say how much I love this spices enough. What is the other mossiae you will be crossing it with? And maybe Dr.LeslieE can help with this but do you think the dark flareing on the petal tips count as flamea type?
-Patrick

Beautiful typical form. I can not say how much I love this spices enough. What is the other mossiae you will be crossing it with? And maybe Dr.LeslieE can help with this but do you think the dark flareing on the petal tips count as flamea type?
-Patrick
On the flamea question, I tend to think not in this case since the flare is so small and also variable. But that is just me opining- I am not sure what, if any, standards are generally accepted there.

For now, not crossing it with another mossiae but plotting to remake an old hybrid or two, plus I sent some pollen to a hybridizer who is going to try some interesting things.

I love the "falling forward" shape of this spices. Here is my mossiae 'Patrick's Choice' that I plan to self this year. maybe we could swap some seedlings?
-PatrickView attachment 38410View attachment 38411
This is wonderful! How large is the bloom? Happy to swap seedlings down the road. Maybe a pollen swap too? I like the shoulder effect on the petals in your example, similar to mine. The lip is also exceptional. We might have a good sib cross right here if you are interested.

This is wonderful! How large is the bloom? Happy to swap seedlings down the road. Maybe a pollen swap too? I like the shoulder effect on the petals in your example, similar to mine. The lip is also exceptional. We might have a good sib cross right here if you are interested.
The flowers are 19.5 cm. NS same as yours. The plant should be in bloom by the end of March, but I don't think it is strong enough to hold more than one pod. It's one of Art Chadwick Sr.'s sibling crosses.
-Patrick

On the flamea question, I tend to think not in this case since the flare is so small and also variable. But that is just me opining- I am not sure what, if any, standards are generally accepted there.

For now, not crossing it with another mossiae but plotting to remake an old hybrid or two, plus I sent some pollen to a hybridizer who is going to try some interesting things.
The dark mini flares is considered a pincelada. If it repeats another blooming like this, you can safely say it’s that color form.

The size is really good and the petals hold almost horizontally. The aim here is to get petals to hold as straight as possible. Unless of course, the falling petals is the desired effect, whereby Patrick’s flower will serve this sib cross wonderfully.

What heirloom hybrids are you trying to create? I have various pollen saved here.

The dark mini flares is considered a pincelada. If it repeats another blooming like this, you can safely say it’s that color form.

The size is really good and the petals hold almost horizontally. The aim here is to get petals to hold as straight as possible. Unless of course, the falling petals is the desired effect, whereby Patrick’s flower will serve this sib cross wonderfully.

What heirloom hybrids are you trying to create? I have various pollen saved here.

Sorry for missing this earlier. I am not terribly focused on flattening the petals. I actually like the shouldering or waterfall effect of my plant, and would not mind seeing it carry forward.

As for other heirloom hybrids- at this point I am not focused on anything specifically. Right now the goal is to get really good parents matched up- whatever the hybrid may be. The flowers are getting on a bit, but still in full sail. If it is not too late to pollinate, I would be happy to pair it up with something you have that you think might be a particularly good match. Please just DM me and we can sort out the arrangements.

Latest posts

Back