C.lueddemanniana 'Arthur Chadwick' AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find that lueddies respond well to more light. Perhaps move it closer to brighter light this year? I’ve seen this clone with 3 flowers at RF Orchids under Vanda light.
Thanks Leslie, I guess that makes sense being the only large flowered spices that grows at sea level. I always followed the rule that with lavender forms if the leafs have purple spots when they first emerge they are getting enough light to bloom. But I will give it more light next winter.
-Patrick

That’s still 1 more bloom than I’ve had on any of my lueddemannianas! More light would probably help, but also, how long have you had the plant? I’ve found it takes a couple of growing seasons for plants to really adjust to conditions and hit their stride.

Odd, isn't it, how different people look at the same flower and see a different color. I see a pale lavender and Ozpaph sees
pink...perhaps it's both. The flower has a wonderful upright dorsal. I hope it's fragrant.

Our monitors can change a color ever so slightly. I purchase linen fabric on-line and it’s difficult when I’m trying to match colors. My monitor does show this bloom as lavender. I have the same plant and it blooms this color, I love it!

That’s still 1 more bloom than I’ve had on any of my lueddemannianas! More light would probably help, but also, how long have you had the plant? I’ve found it takes a couple of growing seasons for plants to really adjust to conditions and hit their stride.
I have had this one for three years and it has bloomed the first week of February for three years now, but it used to be just about 45 minutes away at Chadwick's so there's not much difference between my greenhouse and theirs.
-Patrick

Patrick, your photo is in natural daylight, but I don't know the time of day. If it is about mid-day, photographer lighting seems to call that pure white/natural white, which is about 5000-5500 K. Earlier in the morning or later in the day moves the perceived light to about 4000 K, which is more "red", so the red/lavender colors become more pronounced.

I am attaching my 'Arthur Chadwick' picture from October 2022 with two flowers, but my artificial lighting at that time was 4000K, instead of the 5000K that I have switched to. So, I think the little more lavender color of my flower is probably related mostly to light exposure. However, my plant was a mericlone from Chadwicks and not a division, which is what I suspect you have. As a mericlone, my flower could be somewhat different from yours because of genetic variation during the mericlone process.

IMG_2219.jpeg

Patrick, your photo is in natural daylight, but I don't know the time of day. If it is about mid-day, photographer lighting seems to call that pure white/natural white, which is about 5000-5500 K. Earlier in the morning or later in the day moves the perceived light to about 4000 K, which is more "red", so the red/lavender colors become more pronounced.

I am attaching my 'Arthur Chadwick' picture from October 2022 with two flowers, but my artificial lighting at that time was 4000K, instead of the 5000K that I have switched to. So, I think the little more lavender color of my flower is probably related mostly to light exposure. However, my plant was a mericlone from Chadwicks and not a division, which is what I suspect you have. As a mericlone, my flower could be somewhat different from yours because of genetic variation during the mericlone process.

View attachment 38343
When I took the picture was about one in the afternoon and it looks darker in person, about the same as yours. Mine is actually an original division and I wonder if the original plant was virus free when it was cloned or if they thought it was important enough to have the virus taken out. Maybe you know?
-Patrick

I don't know, Patrick. I do know that I have tested my plant negative by Agdia strips. I have to believe that Chadwick' had their 'Arthur Chadwick' mericloned (by themselves or someone else did it for them). The price difference between a division and a mericlone is substantial ($250 for a division and 75 for a mericlone). I don't think they would be selling a division a virus positive division. Your lighting is good for photos. You should just get a big sheet of flat black construction paper (mine is velvet but it is probably not worth the expense) to use as a background and you would get decent pictures with your cell phone cameras.

Back