C. leopoldii var escura 'Rosella' x self

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozpaph

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cattleya species arent my 'core competency'. This is labelled as above. My reading suggests its tigrina (early summer flowering from green sheath - per AOS article). Also, what separates this out as var escura? I'd be grateful for any insights. Thank-you
I like the colour but the 2 flowers are disappointing. Plant is nearly 60cm tall.

Cattleya species arent my 'core competency'. This is labelled as above. My reading suggests its tigrina (early summer flowering from green sheath - per AOS article). Also, what separates this out as var escura? I'd be grateful for any insights. Thank-you
I like the colour but the 2 flowers are disappointing. Plant is nearly 60cm tall.

The colour is just fantastic, and so is the whole flower! Looking at a flower for just what it is ----- for just what they are ------ beautiful, even the nice curly tepals ----- and also the sidelobes joined at the top!

Not too long ago - couple of months back - I had a flower open up for spotted catt hybrid ----- C. Lulu Land. I bought the 'wrong' one because I thought I bought C. Lulu hehehe. I didn't pay enough attention to the name. I really love spotted catts ---- and this one turned out to have something else I like --- a formula 1 nose cone or front-end hahaha. So --- I fortunately bought the 'wrong' one hehe.

C. Lulu Land (not La La Land heheh)

Attachments

• C. Lulu Land_Sun-20Sept2020.jpg
    C. Lulu Land_Sun-20Sept2020.jpg
    985.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Leopoldii is the old name for tigrina, therefore a synonym (for the record, I prefer leopoldii 😇).

The term ‘escura’ is designated as a horticultural color form that indicates that this flower is a darker form of the tipo (or normal colour). So darker spots, darker base and darker lip. But not dark enough for rubra or nigrescens type. So it just means a darker tipo colour, but still tipo (facts confirmed by a Brazilian cattleya expert).

Hope that’s not confusing lol.

Also flowering from a green sheath in your Ozzie summer confirms it as tigrina! And as for flower quantity, you will have to wait till plant is more matured, larger and stronger, when it can throw over 20 flowers per inflorescence!

Latest posts

Back